Rusted Bolts.

TopDogDieselRam

I have a question.

I was trying to install my mbrp 4 inch exhaust today when i ran into a problem. I cant get the bolts that hold the downpipe onto the turbo out. I used penetrating oil, A impact gun, a pneumatic rachet and tried by hand. I still cant get the bolts out. they are rusted stuck like no other. I am thinking about drilling them out, and just getting longer bolts, that i can put a bolt on the end and keep it together that way.

I need a little bit of help here.

Thanks.

TopDogDieselRam said:
I have a question.

I was trying to install my mbrp 4 inch exhaust today when i ran into a problem. I cant get the bolts that hold the downpipe onto the turbo out. I used penetrating oil, A impact gun, a pneumatic rachet and tried by hand. I still cant get the bolts out. they are rusted stuck like no other. I am thinking about drilling them out, and just getting longer bolts, that i can put a bolt on the end and keep it together that way.

I need a little bit of help here.

Thanks.

Got a torch? Heat it up and then hit it with the impact. Heat up the metal around the bolt, not the bolt itself. A propane torch will work but takes a little longer. good luck.

sootman said:
Got a torch? Heat it up and then hit it with the impact. Heat up the metal around the bolt, not the bolt itself. A propane torch will work but takes a little longer. good luck.

If you have the time, heat the bolt, nut, flange, everything..then cool it off with PB Blaster or AeroKroil. Let sit a few, reheat and hit it with the impact. Heating it and then cooling it with the oil will help to draw the oil into the cracks.

Billysgoat said:
If you have the time, heat the bolt, nut, flange, everything..then cool it off with PB Blaster or AeroKroil. Let sit a few, reheat and hit it with the impact. Heating it and then cooling it with the oil will help to draw the oil into the cracks.
Exactly as Billy said, best method I've used.

yep thats the best way to do it.

glad you made it over! hope the rest of it goes on easy.

Once i got the everything heated up, everything went smoother then silk. Once the bolts were hot, they came off without a problem....i couldent believe how easily they came out.

Thanks for the help.:thankyou2: