S-06 PoD adjustment vs. level 2-9 reflashing

pizziLLA

Pizza, diesel & jeep tech
so Ive been trying to figure this out for a little bit, but haven't come to a conclusion yet- so im asking for everyone else's experience or insight on this!

ive been using the smarty software on my last (24 valve) and current (CR) trucks since 2007, and have watched the excellent revolution of the software since that time. Back then, there were no options adjustments, and no Power on Demand function.

as those items have evolved into the software package over time, we could tune the trucks with what 9 main ranging from half power on #0 to full catcher software+timing on #9. 6 programs if you don't count odd/even levels separately. Then options adjustment came along.

I thought it was great that we could at that point choose options within each program level to adjust TQ management, wastegate , rail pressure and added timing choices. now we could essentially make odd # programs even, and even # programs odd-by adjusting the timing value. but at that point, why have #3, #5, #7, and #9 if you can just do it with the even #'s and adjust that option? maybe they were programming this in a way that main program #'s were for non enthusiasts, and the options adjustments were for expert or the more geeky owners. either way i had long forgot about that odd redundancy in the software.

now with the addition of Power on Demand, now you can take each program and scale it with a value between 0-99. 99 being full, 50 being half 0 being lower power.

So, if #8 is full catcher software with a claimed 210hp increase and #4 is only 90hp, i should now be able to program my truck on 8 and then set the PoD to a value of 43 (210hp x 43%=90.3hp) and achieve exactly what i would have by programming my truck on level 4. and faster, too.

So that raises the question, why should i program with any level between 2 and 6, if i could get equal results by just adjusting the PoD value within program #8 or 9 to suit my needs?

Would it be easier to have just 4 or 5 main flash required softwares, then adjust the smarty intensity level by the PoD function?

thanks for your time and input!

edit: spelling

Last edited:
Each catcher level has different timing, duration etc for the most part. So the math does not apply.

Back