s-10 diesel swap, whats the best engine to use??

samhundley

i have a 93 chevy s-10 4x4 4.3L 5 speed, and i want to put a small diesel engine in it, i've been told to use a cummins 4bt but i don't know what would work best, can anyone help?

You might look around Isuzu made a small diesel for that truck. I think it only made 50 HP and 35 MPG.

Shove a full size engine in it. Dmax, Cummins, power stroke, with a little massaging they should all fit.

maybe a the small cummins would work. were i use to work on avaition ground support equipment we had a clark tug that had a 2.3 cummins with a chrysler 727 transmission behind it. these were a small four cylinder engine with a rotary pump. cummins also made a 3.3 that was a little larger. sounds like a interesting swap, keep us posted and good luck!

like 9924v said I would try to go with the 3.3 cummins. The 3.9 is a great engine and would probably be the easiest to do because if it bolts to the 5.9 it bolts to the 3.9, they only problem with the 3.9 is that it is 782lbs dry, that v6 that you are goin to pull out of that is probably about half that weight. If you were to go with the 3.9 you would probably have to build up the front end, if its 4wd it might not be to bad.

I am not posotive but I think the 4bt would require a body lift to make it fit, I may be wrong though.

I have seen pics of the cummins 3.3L motor in an s10 and it looked good and got over 35mpgs ( think around 38mpgs)

Stretch the bed and put a cummins in it.:Cheer:
Thats on our list of up coming projects should be a wheel stander.Rich

If he does have to lift the body it would be that much i dont think.
I tihnk in his case the way to go will be the 3.3.

i already have a 3" body lift and iwas told i could fit an old detroit 3-53 2stroke in it, but i don't know how i would make it bolt to my tranny, i have a borg-warner t-5, what was the diesel that was put ine the full size blazers?

i already have a 3" body lift and iwas told i could fit an old detroit 3-53 2stroke in it, but i don't know how i would make it bolt to my tranny, i have a borg-warner t-5, what was the diesel that was put ine the full size blazers?

if you decide to put that detroit in that you might want to carry around a could pairs of ear moffs in you truck lol.

With a 3" body lift the 3.9 should fit with out problems with hight.

i love the sound of the detroit, but i don't know where i would find one, and the 3.9 cummins would be great but i see that done all the time

The full size Blazers came with 6.2s & 6.5s even a few 5.7 olds conversion diesels.Rich

if you decide to put that detroit in that you might want to carry around a could pairs of ear moffs in you truck lol.

With a 3" body lift the 3.9 should fit with out problems with hight.

will i be able to bolt the 3.9 to my transmission, i have a borge-warner T-5, it uses the same bolt pattern as all GM small blocks

I thinkt that you can get an adapter plate that will work but I am not sure. I will see if I can find out forsure for you.

I have wanted to put a Dmax in a colorado or s10 for a while now. I think it would be cool to cut the truck in half (long ways) to widen it then drop a Dmax in with a built 4l80e and let it go. I think you could build a tranny to handle a 450hp Dmax reliably and that along with all the tq will be more than enough to make a quick colorado.

I have wanted to put a Dmax in a colorado or s10 for a while now. I think it would be cool to cut the truck in half (long ways) to widen it then drop a Dmax in with a built 4l80e and let it go. I think you could build a tranny to handle a 450hp Dmax reliably and that along with all the tq will be more than enough to make a quick colorado.

that would be pretty cool

will i be able to bolt the 3.9 to my transmission, i have a borge-warner T-5, it uses the same bolt pattern as all GM small blocks

I thinkt that you can get an adapter plate that will work but I am not sure. I will see if I can find out forsure for you.

you can get a gm adpater plate that bolts to the 3.9 that will bolt to your t-5.
The t-5 is not known for being a strong reiable thou, if you do use this tran I would look into building and making it stronger. Jake

you can get a gm adpater plate that bolts to the 3.9 that will bolt to your t-5.
The t-5 is not known for being a strong reiable thou, if you do use this tran I would look into building and making it stronger. Jake

thanks, i know the t-5 won't last forever, but it'll last till i can find a stronger one

thanks, i know the t-5 won't last forever, but it'll last till i can find a stronger one

I would look around for a TKO 600 Trmec. more than the t5 would cost. but if you are goin to build the t5 the prices would be similar with a more reliable trans.

Back