?'s about removing lifters.

farmboy3510

I was reading in my manual and it said when removing the cam to put wood dowl rods 4in longer than the push rons in to the lifters. When I measured the push rod ends they measured .395" so 3/8" dowls are to small and 7/16" are to big. Do you turn down the ends of the dowls to fit or is their a special kit that you have to purchase. Thanks for the help in advance.

Tap them inside, and I want to say that I used 1/2" dowel. If you tap them in they will hold better.

cummings sells a kit.as far as dowl rods 1/2in is the way to go.you can round off the ends a bit to get it in the lifter.the kit comes with a pcv looking pipe cut in half to catch the lifters.

Dually is correct you can just use a pvc pipe cut in half to catch lifter works great! also when installing put assembly grease on lifter where it fits in bore and small piece of dowel in lifter with a wire or string attached to end to pull lifter in bore I have four made up then grease will hold lifters up and you can pull out string. put whole piece of pvc pipe in cam bore and reinstall dowels and then cam

Take woodin dowels put in each lifter make sure there in the lifter good...take the first to dowels pull up on them ..put a zip tie around the wood dowel and pull them together so they hold good.. do the same for the rest. after taking the cam out be very careful not to move the dowels of bump them cuz if the dowel comes out of the lifter.The lifter falls into the oil pan then you know what that means.Unless the oil pan is already off then you don't have to worry about that..

Thanks for all of the good advise. I am planning on taking both of the cams out tomorrow. I'm gonna practice on the 12v first and then do it on the 24v.

Theres pics of the dowels I made when I did my conversion in the link in my sig. 1/2" dowel is what you want, although the hose clamps would be better. Just have to remove the tappet cover to do that.