?'s on best upgrades for an '03

OceanDiesel

First off, I'm a PSD guy that was asked by a local farmer for some recommendations, and to install, upgrades to help him with mpg's and towing. So as I start doing research, i was looking for some inputs from ya'll. Truck: 03 2500 4x4 auto, bone stock, 250K miles. Pulls 8-10K trailer 5-6 days a week. He was thinking intake, exhaust, tuner to keep it simple.

Intake- I was thinking a 6637 style setup since those filters are readily available in this area.

Exhaust- He wants to keep costs down so aluminized 4" turbo back would be best. Which systems have the best fit? And do mufflers help quiet in cab noise, or is it the same with or without a muffler?

Tuner- Towing is a must, and MPG's, but maybe a little extra "zoom" for him to mess around with while on a date night with his ole lady, but not enough for him to destroy anything.

All inputs are helpful guys, thanks in advance.

I have a 03 w/ almost 100K. Have a TST on the truck. I just cut my muffler off and put a pipe in its place and I can't tell a difference w/ the windows up in the cab. Windows down its a bit loud. And a buddy following me said it was annoying. If you going to put any tuner on the truck and with it having 250K miles a rebuild on the tranny might not be to bad of a idea as well as a input shaft and triple disk tq.

If it's got original injectors, I'd be replacing those before adding anything mentioned above.

The trans has 50K, was a reman from Dodge. The injectors were replaced about 2010-2011. I let him know that a stock tranny usually won't last once tuned.

I have an edge juice with attitude on my 03. It has served its purpose thus far and gives you monitoring capabilites. As for exhaust I currently have an aluminized 5 inch turbo back system made by flo-pro. It came with a resonator which I'm a big fan of. After having both 4 inch and 5 inch straight piped exhausts, a resonator is very welcomed.

I have a 03 w/ almost 100K. Have a TST on the truck. I just cut my muffler off and put a pipe in its place and I can't tell a difference w/ the windows up in the cab.

:umno: Unless your name is Hellen Keller, I have a hard time believing that. All it took was an 11 hour road trip with my wife after I straight piped my truck and a real exhaust system with a muffler was the first mod she MADE me do when we got back home. The drone is awful.

Straight pipes are great for anyone who doesn't have cash, but a truck that spends most of its time loaded and lugging will be unbearable without a muffler. $.02

If it's got original injectors, I'd be replacing those before adding anything mentioned above.

Good idea. Especially if your tuner adds pressure. Put a turbo on the radar as well; If its still the original one, after the tune its only a matter of time before the compressor starts 'tinking the housing.

I have an edge juice with attitude on my 03. It has served its purpose thus far and gives you monitoring capabilites. As for exhaust I currently have an aluminized 5 inch turbo back system made by flo-pro. It came with a resonator which I'm a big fan of. After having both 4 inch and 5 inch straight piped exhausts, a resonator is very welcomed.

In this case, I agree with all said here. The Juice with Attitude will give him gauges along with the tune - when he looks at the price make sure he factors that into the suggestion. I'm not of the TDR mentality where any fuel mod mandates gauges, especially just a tow tune; but they're nice if you actually drive with them. Edge JA is also adjustable on the fly so he can leave it on a tow tune and bump it up real quick if he wants to play.

His tranny will eventually sh!t the bed. Adding a tuner to the equation is like adding laxative to the above analogy; its going to happen sooner and its going to be a lot more messy when it does.

You're on the right track. Keep it simple like 90% of the world does: Intake, Tuner, Exhaust, Done.

I always recommend a good fuel system first. Most guys don't want to hear that, but it's the most logical starting point.

Buddy of mine has on 03 with a smarty jr. 4" flo pro, and s and b intake and he is always hooked to a trailer with about 12k on it and its been great for him.

I always recommend a good fuel system first. Most guys don't want to hear that, but it's the most logical starting point.

I agree Jeff! The lift pumps that came from the factory in 03 were not my favorite. I always carried a spare until I ungraded.

Back