s400 swapping comp wheels/housings

Poulina

I have an s476/87 from FI thats fairly new/low miles. I want to swap on a cast 67.7 compressor wheel and housing. Is it as simple as taking the cartridge apart, and putting it back together with a new compressor wheel? does it need to be balanced? Tolerances checked? Magic spells casted?

360* thrust bearing if that makes a difference

Many thanks

Only issue would be if you wanted to go up to 76 from 67, since the backplate is machined for a bigger exducer than the 67 it will fit no issues.

Heads up left hand threads, and don't let the turbine drop out. Coat the shaft and threads with fresh engine oil before installing new wheel and don't get crazy with tightening.

The lip where the backplate was machined for a lager exducer won't create any turbulence or hurt potential air movement?

The nut is a 12 point 10mm?

The lip where the backplate was machined for a lager exducer won't create any turbulence or hurt potential air movement?

The nut is a 12 point 10mm?

Not an issue worth worrying about, it's either 18 or 21 mm for the steel nut. Intergrated nut wheels are smaller I think 16mm, and all s400 are 10mm shaft.

Worth spending the extra coin for a race cover?

Last edited:
Worth spending the extra coin for a race cover?

No problem, I don't have any back to back data to justify spending money on one but the way I see it is the benefits would shine on a low psi application. For guys using 80+ mm wheels it's less expensive to modify a .66 cover vs. the .63