s472/83 to FMW s468/83

CalebZ400

I currently have a box borg warner s472/83 .9 T4 with a flow of around 90 lbs/min according to compressor maps i found and have been looking at swapping to one of the new FMW s468/83 .9s with the billet wheel (actually 67.7) and is supposed to flow around 94lbs/min. I dd with this s472 and even tow my 16x8 enclosed quite often with out to much trouble but my question is should I to go down to the s468 with its incredible flow numbers assuming itll make similar hp but spool faster at the same time.

The s472 doesnt F*k around for sure and it spools plenty fast when i need it to but if i can get the same hp with a smaller billet turbo is it worth it?

heres my s472 next to the s480/92 (and an IPA) it replaced during the supercharger phase

imag0295j.jpg

Not to derail your thread but you wouldn't happen to have the bw part numbers on those chargers thanks

177255 is the S467 (s400-sx3), but it doesnt come factorywith the 0.90 housing

yes, the smaller billet wheel will spool faster than your 72mm cast wheel

I would hope the 67.7 billet would spool faster than a cast 72 but my overall question is it worth it based on power, like i said the 72 works fine for everything i need it to do now but if i can go smaller and keep the same power level or more then that is the ?

I currently have a box borg warner s472/83 .9 T4 with a flow of around 90 lbs/min according to compressor maps i found and have been looking at swapping to one of the new FMW s468/83 .9s with the billet wheel (actually 67.7) and is supposed to flow around 94lbs/min. I dd with this s472 and even tow my 16x8 enclosed quite often with out to much trouble but my question is should I to go down to the s468 with its incredible flow numbers assuming itll make similar hp but spool faster at the same time.

The s472 doesnt F*k around for sure and it spools plenty fast when i need it to but if i can get the same hp with a smaller billet turbo is it worth it?

heres my s472 next to the s480/92 (and an IPA) it replaced during the supercharger phase

imag0295j.jpg

67 FMW spools little bit faster but will not keep up with the 72mm wheel up top. Also the 72mm wheel is a little underated on the compressor map. Flows close to 98lbs/min from what we have seen and tested.

67 FMW spools little bit faster but will not keep up with the 72mm wheel up top. Also the 72mm wheel is a little underated on the compressor map. Flows close to 98lbs/min from what we have seen and tested.

Jose.
How do these two compare in real life to the GTX4294R?

Off topic...only because you brought it up...

Ranger isn't much of an IPA...

Jealous of the charger though!

Jose.
How do these two compare in real life to the GTX4294R?

The GTX4294R has no rival lbs for lbs. Some folks love to compare them to a BW , but then have larger turbine wheels, A/R's...yadda...yadda, cause on equal ground they aren't comparable. The GT has a bigger price tag though, BUT put them on a truck that beats on them day in day out, and you will quickly make that up in not having to rebuild them. BUT for the price the BW's are hard to beat.

I suppose i should update this.... Got the 67.7 on, had a few weeks to drive on it and got a dyno in.

Overall this is the perfect sized turbo for what i want on my part time DD, so much less haze than the 72, It still pulls like crazy on the top altho it doesnt have the big hit the like 72, it has a nice smooth pull to it from the beginning all the way up to the top around 53psi. And its not as iffy as the 72 would act in the midrange. I even towed 6500lbs the othe day in my enclosed 16x8 and it wasnt smokey, the charger would spool right up and i saw egts max out at 1350 or so on some decent grades.

On the dyno i did 700/1235 True and with the correction they called it 788/1390 making 50psi not too bad for 3300t alt, This is with smarty TNT. I am currently working with les dialing in a sweet efi live tune and am going to try again.

if i could keep my current spool, I would love to try out a GTX4294r just to see how awesome it is altho i think it would be BA if garret would come out with a GTX4094r.

I'm changing my setup and need help choosing a turbo for what i do. Its on 05 with ppe dual fuelers, exergy 120% overs, stainless t4 2nd gen, hamilton 188/220, ported head and valve job, 625's ect... Its a stick truck and I street race and drag it. Drive it on the weekends, I will never tow any more than 5k and its only once in awhile. I was looking into like a s468, s469. But idk what to go with either an 83 or an 87, and also for the a.r .9, 1., 1.1 ? Any help would be great guys thanks

I'm changing my setup and need help choosing a turbo for what i do. Its on 05 with ppe dual fuelers, exergy 120% overs, stainless t4 2nd gen, hamilton 188/220, ported head and valve job, 625's ect... Its a stick truck and I street race and drag it. Drive it on the weekends, I will never tow any more than 5k and its only once in awhile. I was looking into like a s468, s469. But idk what to go with either an 83 or an 87, and also for the a.r .9, 1., 1.1 ? Any help would be great guys thanks

I can tell you that with your 120% overs that the FMW 67 will be more than maxed out, i could peg my egt gauge shortly into a WOT pull, yes it spools fast and pulls hard up top but your injectors will be too big for that small of a turbo. But i will say its a blast to drive with a stick since it spools up so fast loosing boost between shifts doesnt bother me as much with this turbo compared to the 72

Its also possible that with your cam and ported head you can get more out of the turbo and still keep egts manageable

lol well I hope it would be better than my s366 is with the 120% overs haha! Can u help me out anymore with picking the sizes for the back side of the charger.

I ran a 83 turbine with a .9 a/r housings on both my s400s since i have to deal with a little bit of altitude and being a stick i wanted the spool up. It worked for me but maybe someone with a bit more knowledge can tell you if the 87 turbine and a bigger a/r would be more beneficial

if i could keep my current spool, I would love to try out a GTX4294r just to see how awesome it is altho i think it would be BA if garret would come out with a GTX4094r.

Couldnt a turbo shop build you one? Ive been thinking the same thing.

I know its old, just searched google for gtx4094r and this came up. thats good to know.

Back