S472 or GT4202 ever tried on a 24v?

6.4boy

I have a buddy with a 2000 24v cummins. He has a full built trans, DDP 250hp injectors, SO VP44, Edge comp box, and a air dog lift pump. He his now wanting a turbo to throw on the truck and he is not worried to much about turbo lag because its just a weekend worrier. I have found some really good deals on both of these turbos and i was curious if it would even be possible to street drive the truck with one of them? Any imput would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Put the .90 housing from the borg, or 1.01 from the GT4202. I think a better comparison would be the s475 with the 83x74 wheel and the .90 housing. Make sure your not looking at the borgs with the t6 1.32 housing and the 96x88 wheel.

Put the .90 housing from the borg, or 1.01 from the GT4202. I think a better comparison would be the s475 with the 83x74 wheel and the .90 housing. Make sure your not looking at the borgs with the t6 1.32 housing and the 96x88 wheel.

Yea I realize the s475 would be closer to the 4202 but I can get a great deal on the s472 and it is a .90 housing batmowheel. So you think it would spool pretty good?

There is a guy on here (not sure of username) that was running a 471 on a VP truck. If I remember right, he wasn't spooling before 2k.

I would suspect you will about get the turbo completely lit and then run out of RPM.

I would suspect you will about get the turbo completely lit and then run out of RPM.

This is the problem i see with running such a large turbo on a vp truck, lack of rpms. A super short powerband is no fun IMO

Would you think with those ddp 250hp injectors on a SO vp44 and a lift pump that he would even be able to make use of that kinda air or would there be a decent power difference between say a 66 SB and a s472?

Would you think with those ddp 250hp injectors on a SO vp44 and a lift pump that he would even be able to make use of that kinda air or would there be a decent power difference between say a 66 SB and a s472?

It is just that the VP doesn't have the RPM to effectively use the turbo.

redline unlimited box that will fuel till 4500 if the pump will turn it. ran 4300ish when i had mine on my old truck. did 713hp with it and hp was still over 600 at 3900 so its possible with the right setup to run that big of a single on a vp truck.

The 66 will come on quite a bit sooner than the 71. If it is going to be on the street, I don't think you'll get much use out of anything with a turbine wheel exducer over 71mm.

If he is set on a 471, try and talk him into different fueling electronics and possibly a cam.

$.02

redline unlimited box that will fuel till 4500 if the pump will turn it. ran 4300ish when i had mine on my old truck. did 713hp with it and hp was still over 600 at 3900 so its possible with the right setup to run that big of a single on a vp truck.

Nice! And what turbo were u running?

Were you running anything else twith the redline unlimited box? Also, any clue what kinda power you made on fuel with the 66?

Old school van akken timing box. Did 598 on fuel. VA box is by far best timing box I ever ran. It's the old metal box that plugs directly into the vp. Can't find then any more and luckily I still have it

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Old school van akken timing box. Did 598 on fuel. VA box is by far best timing box I ever ran. It's the old metal box that plugs directly into the vp. Can't find then any more and luckily I still have it

Hmm never heard of one of those. What would you run with the edge comp if you were to run a 72mm? Also thank all of you guys for your input!:thankyou2:

Power puck. That was the second best timing box I ran . Third was a drag comp in easy mode lol. Drag comp makes good timing

I think that's why the drag comps make such good dyno numbers. The timing in those boxes are really good

Here is a picture of the va box

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1332474257785.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1332474257785.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 0
  • uploadfromtaptalk1332474266959.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1332474266959.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 0
I have never seen or heard of anything like that. Well I will keep you guys posted on the turbo he decides to run and hopefully get some videos of how it spools. Thanks for all your help guys and if you have anymore info please let me know. Also I'm not a big cummins genius haha so can you run the redline with the edge comp or are they both fuel boxes? He is wanting to stick with the edge comp since he already has it so he is just wanting to know the best tuner to run with it to spool a large turbo.

The old van Aaken box came out in 1999 and was produced only a year to 18 months, that's why you don't see them much. It was replaced by a newer model that didn't tirn out to be as good. I was lucky enough to come across one not long ago and snatched it up fast!

The old van Aaken box came out in 1999 and was produced only a year to 18 months, that's why you don't see them much. It was replaced by a newer model that didn't tirn out to be as good. I was lucky enough to come across one not long ago and snatched it up fast!

lol i hear. ya. we got ours brand new in 99 when we got our 99 dualie. dealer actaully installed the box for us in 99 and we were able to keep the warranty on the truck. that was way before all this emissions crap lol. i was lucky enough to hang on to it and now i am glad i did. best timing box by far in my eyes.