S500?

Lostnwalmart

Just recently picked up a turbo from a friend. It came off a qsk19 in a komatsu and the compressor housing has cummins in the casting along with the data tag just saying cummins. It looks like a s500 and is roughly 3.5 inches on the compressor side and it also has a wastegate. Ar is 1.18 exhaust t6 foot. I'll get some pics up as soon as I figure out How on my new I phone.
af8859e5.jpg
48d383b3.jpg
2fed679b.jpg

Last edited:
Should be a hx80 or smaller...I use to work on the bigger QSK engines 45L to 70L

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

As have I but it doesn't look like any of the 80's I have worked on before and the komatsu applications some times use borg warner turbos. I can go get some more pictures if needed and yes it's sitting right next to an 82 in that last pic:pop:

Last edited:
Looks like an HX-60 to me... $.02

A little weird to be on a QSK tho.. What application?

Last edited:
Defantly not a 60 I have one of those on my truck right now this guy is much bigger. I'll get a pick of a data plate here in a little bit

I told you, I'll give you $20 for it. Or I'll trade you a set of 24v pistons. Tell ya what, I'll do both! LOL

Just recently picked up a turbo from a friend. It came off a qsk19 in a komatsu and the compressor housing has cummins in the casting along with the data tag just saying cummins. It looks like a s500 and is roughly 3.5 inches on the compressor side and it also has a wastegate. Ar is 1.18 exhaust t6 foot. I'll get some pics up as soon as I figure out How on my new I phone.
af8859e5.jpg
48d383b3.jpg
2fed679b.jpg

Garrett based...M24 casting gives it away.

Garrett based...M24 casting gives it away.

Exactly. GT50 or 55 maybe? What's the turbine wheel measurements?

Garrett does sell to Cummins...that's got to be a bit of a wierd relationship.

Last edited:
What application did it come on, I work for komatsu and can probably help ya out if you know what it was on.

"kawasaki loader like a zx150 or something like that was a qsk19 mcrs"
That is what my friend who I got it from said if that helps

Ok got some measurements today the compressor wheel is 84 mm inducer excited is 123mm. Turbine wheel is around 90 something(housing doesn't want to come off) the cummins numbers on it are assembly#4951982 and serial#lemo17586 those may just be for the engine though. I'll keep trying the exhaust housing it's soaking in pb right now.

If the turbine exducer is in the low 90 mm range then I'm guessing GT50.

remeasured the exhaust turbine and it a little over 4 1/4 in the housing and with my nifty lil i phone conversion chart that says its a 111 mm exhaust turbine and according to nwpadmax that makes this a gt55, granted its not a performance based model but it will still flow some serious air (and since it was a non core turbo it was free to me :Cheer:), i plan on getting a gt40 to go with it for a nice fun set of twins and replacing this ungodly to large single. The hx82 i dont have a plan for but its over 4 in inducer and is the cast housing, its a heavy sucker, maybe ill build a holeset twin kit the hx60 over the 82 :pop: any one know if i can put the et r wheel on this thing?
-Cliff

I like 82's I ran one as a single, it start to spool around 2800 and was making 60-65psi by 3600!

If its a true GT55 based unit, the ET-R wheel would be worthwhile. Over a GT40 sized turbo would be pretty good.

That's what I was thinking I can pick up a gt40 for fairly cheap too. That would be a sweet set if twins

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while...

The model is a GTA5523BNS.

Lucky for you, it should have a billet compressor wheel. That wheel is somewhat smaller than the aftermarket GT55 (133mm). Max flow is ~132 lb/min. It will make 50 psi/PR 4.4 with ease (at slightly less than max flow of course) and probably more if you push it off the map.

You may want to check this: sometimes the "A" after the GT can imply that it's a boreless compressor wheel. If so you will not have a separate nut holding the comp wheel on, it will be all one unit that screws onto what some folks refer to as a "stub shaft" instead of a full length normal shaft. If so, you won't be able to put another wheel on it, you're stuck with it (unless you replace the entire turbine wheel/shaft assembly). This is done to give the wheel a lot of fatigue resistance in situations where the engine idles a lot then goes full throttle and then back to idle. They say garbage trucks are some of the most punishing environments for fatigue for this exact reason.

Turbine wheel is the high-flowing aero that is the same as the GT55 aftermarket/performance units, 84 trim, 111mm inducer. The 1.18 housing will max out at ~63 lb/min (agrees with what you see on the Garrett website) with very good efficiency.

And, obviously, you have the divided volute housing that's internally gated. I believe on the aftermarket GT55 you get open volutes and no WG. But I would bet you could fit the aftermarket turbine housings on it if you wanted to gain a little more efficiency and top end flow.

Hope that helps. Nice find!

Last edited:
You can see in the first picture that the compressor is billet and it is a stub shaft.

You can see in the first picture that the compressor is billet and it is a stub shaft.

I was thinkin' it, but the pic wasn't good enough for me to tell 100%.

That, and I knew you'd be on here correctin' me if I went too far out on a limb... :D

Back