San Dawg Newb

Hi smokerz,

found the site through another site. Glad I did!

I own several diesel engines in a wide variety of applications.

VW 165hp marine
Detroit Diesel 6-71 n/a marine :rockwoot:
IH 7.3l n/a :rockwoot:
Mercedes 3.0 6cyl turbo :rockwoot:
IH 6.0l turbo :bang :doh:

None of them are considered performance, all stock.

The main reason I came here was due to some extravagant claims of 3.9BT's pumped up to 300HP reliably.... or should I said continuous duty reliably.... big difference I know.

I'd appreciate some direction to the discussions related to upping the HP/torque of the 3.9's because it is still one of my favorite power plants. I used a 150hp 3.9BT for years in a small boat and loved that thing, until the head cracked due to overheat. Rebuilt it, sold it and moved on....somewhat regrettable....maybe just misty eyed over it.

I look forward to some of the discussions around here.

Oh.... my user name is for my 1987 3.0l Mercedes turbo diesel, 124 body. The car is a piece of junk, but that engine is awesome!

:welcome:

I wanna see picks of the 165hp VW. I4, V6, V10, V12??? IDI, Tdi? :D

Is the 3.9L a VE (rotary) or P-pump (inline)? Big difference in how they fuel and how much you can put out.

welcome...bit of advice...don't assume we all smoke, most of us dislike it.

welcome...bit of advice...don't assume we all smoke, most of us dislike it.

Thanks for the welcome.

:lolly:

Hey!! I've seen you greazerz smokin'!!! :shake:

You want pics too??? Sheesh That'll take a day or two.

In the mean time, here's the catalog for VW's marine engines. I've just installed it, not even run it yet. Still need to hook up some systems to get'r running. The VW is an inline 5 cyl engine with tumbler.

See VW catalog:
http://www.vw-m.de/uploads/vwm/VWM_PlaningBoats_e_09_Screen_466_091028102337.pdf

Can anyone spell $15,000 after taxes?? LOL

One Ferd is an IDI- 1990 Extended cab with dual rear but only 2 wheels. Bought it for $1500, only 76,000 miles on the ODO, I rebuilt the trans with double clutch pack and beefed up the torque-verter. 4:10rear, but truck was ordered to haul a large piggyback camper. Total cost on this truck the two months I've owned it is $3500.00. I upgrade alternator, return lines/caps, battery cables and other miscellaneous items.

The other Ferd is an '03 F250 PDS.... or what I like to call POS. Not that it's given me much trouble, but I reallyreallyreallyreallyreally hate driving anything with less than confidence. You know, like driving a $40,000 dollar truck since new and finding out 9 months later it has EGR issues that causes engine rebuilds. And the factory won't do a recall on it, knowing it is doomed to failure, making me pay out of pocket for an aftermarket unit plus time/labor to install. You will notice down the road that I will refer to this POS with much angst. I can't let it go.... nor should I have to suffer with so much money paid for something.... see where I'm going with it?? :bang *bdh* If no one brings it up... then this :soap: won't be an issue.

The Mercedes is a 1987 300D Turbo. Bullet proof... too bad the carriage isn't. For an expensive luxury car, Mercedes must have a contract with KIA to make their insides and China to build their steering assemblies. The brakes are wicked awesome though.

BTW- the 6 is an inline 6 not a Vee. Inliners all work better than any Vee ever will... not to say I wouldn't want an 8V-92 with twin tumblers on it. It would fit nicely in the 71's place. The 6 is also in a boat.

To answer the 3.9 question... I have no clue between P or VE as I'm starting from scratch and own nothing yet. I'd like to build a 3.9, but having been away from the Cummins products for nearly 20 years, I know a lot has changed. The 3.9 I had was all mechanical, only put out 150 HP. We never worked on it, but for oil and coolant so other than r/r on a head, gave it up to know much else about it. We probably had over 7000 hours on it before giving it up.... not a problem, except that head.... and it was cuz some numb skull drove it through kelp and didn't watch temps.

Again, thanks for the welcome. :snoop:

Back