sb dd clutch came apart what you think

coorsman2005

i like beer
just like the title says it came apart. southbend did warranty the clutch. but wouldnt stand behind everything eles that it cracked, (tcase,bellhousing,trans adapter). also the rear main seal was leaking so another question is how much life did it knock out of my main bearings? now exactly what happened is the roll pins that holds the floating disk in place broke. letting the floater go everywhere it wanted to go. (about a 1/4'' every direction) my question to you guys is what do you think about this. what could it cause? dont get me wrong peter is a nice guy but this is what he told me. says the floater being loose will not do anything. wouldnt cause anything to crack or hurt a thing is basicly what they said. said it is mounted to the crank not the trans the clutch is the only thing that actually touches the trans. he said the reason why the trans cracked is cause the g56 is junk period!

so basicly my understanding here we can throw an unbalanced clutch kit on our trucks with no issues. (ya right)

this is how i see it the flywheel is mounted to the crank. the floater being loose to this extent causes a vibration right? the vibration moves through the crank to the block. moves through the adapter which caused the adapter to crack- which caused my bell housing to crack. ect.ect

the first thing that cracked was my tcase. as soon as i seen that i pulled both drivelines checked joints. no probs. so i took them and had them ballanced they told me there was nothing wrong with the lines. i had probs else where.

this happened to me about a month ago. it has been beating on me and getting me more pissed off. so i had to vent it cost me 2300 for trans and tcase. that broke from not my fault.

sorry for the long post guys. post your thoughts. i will be posting a video of the floater loose.

thanks alot

it rattled from day one pretty bad. i never thought anymore about it it really. i knew they was louder cause of the solid flywheels. so i left it at that. the clutch only had around 30-40k. 0 pulls 0 drags

Unless Peter has changed things a little, the floater plate in most dual disc setups isn't held in by anything but the pressure plate assembly, once bolted to the flywheel of course. You mentioned roll pins. Do you mean the pressure plate itself came loose?

Who installed the clutch? I'd be knocking on their door. Did they align things properly upon installation of both the clutch and trans? Were all components torqued to the correct/specified values?

Last edited:
Don't be surprised if they call you saying you should take this down or they won't help period. I put three of their clutches in a truck in less then a month and every time it was installation error. Never again would i do it again. Post a few pictures up of everything. Interesting to see.

I will get the video and pics up tonight. I Just put my 3rd sb clutch in. Not one of them have been the same something has changed in all. Then I see where the problem was changed on the new one. Like on the old DD it had roll pins. And the new one has solid round stock. (Holding the floater plate) My first one the pilot bearing fell out letting my input shaft go every direction. Grooving my input shaft from the throw out bearing slide. The my second clutch had a retainer clip holding the pilot bearing in place. But it wasn't nothing they did is what I was told.

Last edited:
Who did the install on these clutches?

What is the truck being used for?

Bluementhals in okc done the first one cause I was strapped on time. Then I installed the both of the dual disk. I know someone is going to say well that's the problem. I have installed plenty of clutches over the years. Have been a mechanic since I was a kid. From building race cars. To now my diesels.

The truck is my DD. And tows a 5thwheel maybe twice a yr.

Last edited:
Mine's no dual disc but I haven't had any issues with it for 3 years now with a decent amount of abuse.

clutch2.jpg

clutch3.jpg

clutch4.jpg

can i send the video to someone to help me post it? i cant get it to upload. for the mean time here are a couple photos. the video is the goodie

yes i did i checked that like 10 times during install. when i removed it that was the first thing i looked at.

Why would you expect a roll pin to hold the load from a floater plate?

Back