sb dd install?

aksparkey01

bombing addict.
Im putting in my new sb dd 3250# clutch and the instructions are pretty vague which is fine but i got a machined aluminum pice that looks like it bolts to the trasmittion arround the input shaft. is this supposed to go in or did they send a part by mistake for an input shaft upgrad kit.
thanks for any help

That machined aluminum piece prob has 3 holes for bolts in it, this would be the spacer for your starter. When you order the bigger input shaft you also get a clutch that was made for a 3rd gen I believe and the ring gear is closer to the housing so you need to pull the starter away. I remember when I did this to my truck and had to figure it out.

His truck does not require a starter spacer. I have installed a bunch of sbc dd and none of them required it. The billet flywheel are made the same. The only dd that require a spacer are the one made on a stock 6 speed flywheel like the haisly street puller. I have a 97 5 speed with a 3850 sbc dd w/no starter spacer. Tim

His truck does not require a starter spacer. I have installed a bunch of sbc dd and none of them required it. The billet flywheel are made the same. The only dd that require a spacer are the one made on a stock 6 speed flywheel like the haisly street puller. I have a 97 5 speed with a 3850 sbc dd w/no starter spacer. Tim

Your wrong, it does require the starter spacer. At least my 97 with a SBC Dual Disc did.

Sounds like your installs need to be called to let them know its wrong.:bang

Diesel Nasty is correct. The NEW flywheel has the ring gear closer to the engine, hence requiring a spacer for the starter.

That could be but the deal and if im wrong, sorry for the bad advice. When i ordered mine from peter he never said nothing about that. Did they change this in the last year or do you have to ask which flywheel you get? The ones i put in six speeds required you to get rid of the spacer. The last year i have switched to powerparts engineering clutches and they dont require spacers either. Tim

Humm, i guess i was wrong. I wonderd why all of the trucks i have put them in i had to pull start

yea it was a spacer for the starter. pretty easy to figure out when trying to put the flywheel on. the starter hits the ring gear. I just didnt get all the instructions with the clutch. but all is well got the clutch and trans in and i will finish up the rest tomorow. thanks for the help

Back