SB66 on a Auto

CumminNotRunnin

Internet Mechanic
Just wondering if anyone out there is runnin a SB66 on a auto. I am looking to purchase one for my rig but i have heard some feed back on that a turbo that big will be surgey and and very laggy even with the proper amount of fuel going to it... any responses or comments please?

Steve B out of Pa Runs one with a tight Gorends Trans,Mach 6++'s. his truck runs real well at the track 12.1's all day long and broke into the 11's with a water/Meth kit IIRC. Handle is ( ctd8999 )

i just got mine put on last week and i love it. it dont spool till the end of second gear if i just step on it but its a great turbo. absolutly no surging and boy oh boy when she lights it pulls hard. cruising egts are right at 775 to 800 and with my boxes on it barely hits just over 1500. i am running mach 7s with a smarty, power puck, and a TST comp. i would defiently go with this thing. its bad azz plus it comes with a pretty polished housing:woohoo:

what kind of boost you see out of it.... You have no troubles with surging that is good. any problems getting it spooled im runnin Stage five 150's

i got it turned down to 50psi right now becuase of my nitrous. i just dont like alot of boost along with alot of nitrous. as far as spooling goes its laggy but not that laggy. if i am at a dead stop and try to spool it up using full throttle, it takes about 20 secs to spool up becuase i am HEAVILY fueled expecially down low but if i give it half throttle, it takes about 8 to 10 secs to spool. boost is right at 3 to 4 psi crusing at 70. takes a bit to get it to 12 psi but once its there it hits 50 with in a sec. i absolutly love it. i can drive it with no smoke at all or i can be a hazzard with it and smoke out an freeway.

I've got let say 5K on mine, been everywere from sea level to 11,000 ft even with my tight 91 DTT converter I don't think it is an issue......but that is me!

Will it spool like a HX-35....no! Even in my truck below 1500 there isn't much power....example 3rd gear at 25 MPH! At 20 degrees of timing I call spool up at 1800 meaning it rolls good there without a ton of smoke, 2K is better and after that it is instantanious.....boost is at 50 right now!

Drive pressure is better at 45-47 vise 50+, at 50 it's a tad over 1 to 1! Max boost I've ever seen......70 :thankyou2:

Jim

Jim Fulmer said:
I've got let say 5K on mine, been everywere from sea level to 11,000 ft even with my tight 91 DTT converter I don't think it is an issue......but that is me!

Will it spool like a HX-35....no! Even in my truck below 1500 there isn't much power....example 3rd gear at 25 MPH! At 20 degrees of timing I call spool up at 1800 meaning it rolls good there without a ton of smoke, 2K is better and after that it is instantanious.....boost is at 50 right now!

Drive pressure is better at 45-47 vise 50+, at 50 it's a tad over 1 to 1! Max boost I've ever seen......70 :thankyou2:

Jim
i totally agree with ya. freakin awesome turbo. pretty acurate on the rpm range as well mine is about 100rpms further than what you have stated but this is a week old turbo driven for 3 days, it should get a tad faster and put me right about where you stated. yeah boost is at 50 right now with mine and thats with the freakin wastegate all the way OPEN. i am pushing through it and its still hitting 50. i would be scared to close it a little :ft:

One other thing is that it need allot of airfilter, I run a 5 x 18 on mine!

Jim

I have an AFE stage 1 with their latest and greatest race filter which is BRAND NEW (not the dry filter) and I can still suck the filter minder down to 25% and I am not pushing it nearly as hard as some of the 12v guys or those with spray, I only see 55psi out of mine on #2 only

I have been thinking about the Silver Bullet lately also. What turbo were you guys running before the SB? pros and cons after the swap?

Dave

I just ran a HTT HTBG.. it was a nice turbo but i have way to much fuel for it. I know im losing some serious power cuz of it. i could spool it in like 4 or 5 seconds but it peaked at 45 psi. so i need some serious air.

i was running a silver 62 which had the 71mm exhuast wheel on it. i loved it. spooled realy fast and kept egts somewhat cool. great all around turbo. the sliver bullet has more lag, but it makes more boost and way cooler egts with this thing. it is so amazing how much harder the bullet pulls on the top end compared to the 62. now i feel like i am runing with my nitrous on but its not, it jsut pulls that hard. i love it.

Inline,

I thought all the Silver series chargers ran a 74 wheel and the supers were 71 wheels?

I'm sure it's awesome wide open.

how much later does it come in compared to the silver 62 you were running?

Dave

DBraunig said:
Inline,

I thought all the Silver series chargers ran a 74 wheel and the supers were 71 wheels?

I'm sure it's awesome wide open.

how much later does it come in compared to the silver 62 you were running?

Dave
your right about the exhaust wheels sorry about that. well, the 62 was lit at the end of first gear, and just when it shifted to 2, boost was at 50psi and never fell. this is from a stand still and just flooring it with the boxes on. now with the bullet, it dont light till the end of 2 gear and when it shifts to 3, boost never falls. it takes quit abit longer but once it lights, its a world of differnce compared to the 62. i dont sled pull, i love drag racing so its perfect for me cuase you spool at the line anyways so lag is not of a concern to me.

just don't run one on a 12v with a stock cam! had one on a 6sp 12v w/ a pretty well ported head, and it was similar to what Jim described, but it didn't really smack till over 2k... but 3000-4000 it was an animal!!!!

Boy I wish this thread would have been around when I was looking at buying a silver bullet. I called II and they told me it would be to much turbo for a daily driver. So I didnt buy it.:bang

Well I wasnt going to put it on right away. I found a good deal and thought I could save a few bucks. I also asked II about there injectors to run with it but no go.