SBC DD 3600# Street Comp 12 CB thoughts?

kas83

Anyone running this clutch? With a 6 speed? I'm hoping to pick up my new truck this week, 01.5 HO, and am looking to mod it immediately and be ready for this summer. Two pulls a year, once or twice at the drag strip(have always wanted to drag my trucks), daily driving to and from work, and some moderate towing-10k to 12k pounds. Wanting the dual disc to cover myself for pulls, and hoping for reasonably smooth engagement too.

Mods, to start with, will be Edge Juice w/ Attitude, my current B-1 off my 97, undetermined fuel system, and stage 2 intake. I'm looking to get some 75-100 hp injectors and a 62/71/13SS and 3 piece manifold late spring.

With that in mind, how do you guys feel about the clutch in question? I know it will definately handle the power without a problem, and will hold up to the very mild sled pulling I plan on. I am more or less wondering about the street manners and such. Thanks in advance.

Peter rates that clutch for light sled pulling and street/strip. I installed one for a customer Thursday and it was very nice. Quiet and smooth as butter, I really liked it. Jeremy.

It's a good clutch and from what we are seeing on local trucks the Sprung Hub version is making the street manners even better and not costing you on the reliability side.

I have a 3850 just dieing to go in once my motor gets back. Drove a friend of mines with a 3600 and it was almost like a stock in feel. I didn't notice any floater noise that everyone talks about. FYI both are sprung hub.

Even a 3600 needs upgraded hydraulics $.02

I've got that same clutch- 3600 12cb unsprung and its put up with a lot of abuse. Just don't try slipping the clutch for more than three seconds and you'll be fine. Shifts are slower than stock and I have trouble getting it into gear from a stop sometimes. Its been two years since I bought this clutch used and its still holds anything I can throw at it even after a half dozen fourth gear launches and other assorted abuse :clap:

Don't forget about ValAir's new DD's, the price is a lot less than a SBC. And Dan have very good quality products

Don't forget about ValAir's new DD's, the price is a lot less than a SBC. And Dan have very good quality products

I've got the Valair con-ofe in my 97 and am very happy with it. I've tried talking with Kevin in regards to the new DD's, but keep hearing only G56 kits are out. Dan makes a good product, but doesn't have what I want available at this point. Aside from that, let's keep this on the SBC one in question please.

As far as the upgraded hydraulics being required, that's completely fine with me. I want a very street friendly dual disc clutch, and this seemed to be the best compromise for my usage. Thanks for the replies so far.

I've got the Valair con-ofe in my 97 and am very happy with it. I've tried talking with Kevin in regards to the new DD's, but keep hearing only G56 kits are out. Dan makes a good product, but doesn't have what I want available at this point. Aside from that, let's keep this on the SBC one in question please.

As far as the upgraded hydraulics being required, that's completely fine with me. I want a very street friendly dual disc clutch, and this seemed to be the best compromise for my usage. Thanks for the replies so far.

yes the g56 kits are out but do they work??? last i knew there was a guy on cumminsforum that had one and it didnt work...so dan bought him a south bend...

I am running a G56 with a SB 3850 for 2 years nows with no problems. Will be going to 4200 next go around. I would do a 3850 over a 3600 if you think you will pull it or do anything real stupid (fun as I call it) it will take more beatting.

I've got a 3850 12cb unsprung in my 04 5600 truck and I love the way it shifts! I think the sprung hubs shift slower due to more inertia on the input shaft.

yes the g56 kits are out but do they work??? last i knew there was a guy on cumminsforum that had one and it didnt work...so dan bought him a south bend...
I was talking about that with Dan, he said he did it because it was a prototype and he didn't have another ready, so he did it to get him back on the road.

And they have the rest of them out now too, according to Dan.

Not trying to hijack, just answering the question...

I finally got ahold of Valair, they have them ready to go. I am now keeping my 97, and will have to upgrade the input to go along with the DD clutch. The more I read around and more I think about how it's going to get used, the more I lean towards the 3850. It's going to be awhile before picking one up, but I want to have a good idea of what I want beforehand. Plus get the NV4500 freshened. Thanks for your replies.

I have had a 3600lb dual disk for 3 or 4 years now(don't remember for sure).

I have a few sled hooks, a ton of third gear clutch drops, and some heavy towing(20K+ pounds) with no problems.

Back