scanners?

bigbugman

For any techs out there what is a good professional scanner to use on light and medium duty trucks. I want more than just reading codes, I want to be able to diagnose trucks. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

We have the Snap-On Solus and it works great. If you really want to spend some cash the Modis is flat out awesome.

The snap on ones are awesome, not cheap, but are very nice pieces.

Snap on Modis here but the Verus with the wireless and internet is pretty awesome

will the solus or modis do class 4 and up trucks? Has any one used the mac mentor? I found they sell it on the truck for under three that will do class 4 to 8 trucks, basically f-550 to full semis. Havent got to pick the snap-on mans brain yet, but the mac is cheaper.

The solus will not do heavy truck. The modis and solus will do up to 550 without heavy truck but in order to do the semi and 650 and up you will need the modis and heavy truck. All the mac scanner is, is a OTC Genisus. Not sure if they have heavy truck for the Genisus, but ive used them all being a Diagnostic rep for Snap-on and even though im not any more i still have to say the Snap-on scanners are better. With the new update 11.2 you can run cylinder contribtion on 6.0.

On another note if you are doing alot of big trucks you may want to look at the Pro LInk which you can talk to your Snap-on dealer about. Snap-on owns Pro link

Last edited:
Snap-on will get the majority of vehicles covered, but over all sucks compared to the factory scan tools suchs as the tech 2, IDS or star scan.

Back