School me

Swamp Star

Go big or go home
I am going to look at trading my 06 6.0 f-350 for a 05 3500 CCLB duelly 4x4. My thing is I am commonrail illiterate and dont want a headache.

The truck has 197k miles on it and had the transmission rebuilt 50k miles ago and a billet converter about 5k miles ago. It also has a cai and its straight pipe other than that its stock for the motor. The truck itself has a 2" leveling kit with spacers and 285's.

What are the key point to check on it and little things to look for? Thanks for the help in advance.

If it seems to crank for a while when starting it is a pretty good indication of injector issues. Did they say anything about the injectors being replaced? With 197K I would suspect they had been changed at one point.

Other than the transmission that appear to be taken care of, those are the big things.

Drivers seat will most likely be toast....

He didnt say anything about injectors being replaced but I will check the cranking like you say. I was supprised but the seat is perfect and the arm rest kinda beat up and a few dent here and there. Im excited to have the option to get back in a Dodge though.

The TC is something that starts with Red, I think is what he said.

Thanks for the info!

He didnt say anything about injectors being replaced but I will check the cranking like you say. I was supprised but the seat is perfect and the arm rest kinda beat up and a few dent here and there. Im excited to have the option to get back in a Dodge though.

The TC is something that starts with Red, I think is what he said.

Thanks for the info!

No problem.

Good Luck!

Went and checked it out earlier. Its a nice truck, about in the same shape as mine. I pulled the oil fill cap and there was 0 blow by. It cranked very quick but he didnt know if the injectors have ever been replaced. It is a total different feel on the trans from my 5r vs the 48re.

Anyhow were gonna think on it for a day or two. I wanna be 100% sure cause of the amount of money I have tied up in my 06. I will keep yall updated.

On another note, do all 48re's fell kinda spongy stock? Im so used to the way my 5r shifts and this one just dont feel the same. I know there is a huge difference in the two but I just wanna make sure this is how they feel cause my 6.0 has ate up all my truck fund getting it right.

48re's arent the best shifting Trans stock wise. Not very aggressive. But as long as your not redlining to shift gears, bogging down at low RPM's, or hunting for gears it should be okay. 1st and 2nd gear bands are easily adjusted externally with a regular wrench and a torque wrench in under 15 mins if 1st or 2nd feels funky.

Thanks for the info. I've been a little worried about how it shifts since I got it Sunday. I will get it to my buddies transmission shop and let them adjust it a little for me.