Seeking Wisdom for 6.0L

autiger1102

Hey guys and gals; I know some women that drive pretty impressive tucks,
I am seeking knowledge for my '06 6.0L Ford F250. I am looking to put a 4.5 suspension lift on in order to run 35x12.50 R20 (stock KR wheels). I have narrowed my decision down to ICON, RCD, BDS, Skyjacker with Bilstein shocks or Rancho. I am still trying to figure out which one is right for me. I know that Icon is the best but it is so dang expensive and I would like to get a mild programmer or and SCT with Street and Economy tunes without having to replace my stud heads or make any engine modifications at the moment. Didn't know if Diablo, Edge, Hypertech, or Banks would be better for my set-up. Also, I am wondering about exhaust. I was looking to do a MBRP, Magnaflow or Silverline 4" Turbo back. I was looking at replacing the cat with 4" in/4"out cat from Magnaflow but not too sure how they do. My las addition, if needed would be an intake system in order to here the turbo whistle a little more. If anyone can help me through all this that would be AWESOME and very much APPRECIATED. Thank you to anyone who helps.

Lift kit = Icon. I started with a Superlift 4" lift, it sucked. Piece by piece I replaced it with 4.5 Icon and it rides better, as well as being safer. Cheaper if I'd just bought an Icon lift from the start.:bang

Save your money towards getting studs and dumping the EGR, then get a tuner. 6.0's are iffy with blowing headgaskets on stock trucks, once they are tuned it becomes more of a waiting game.

SCT tuner. Forget about the others you mentioned.

Exhaust is a good idea. Try some of the site vendors for brand & price advice.
Unless your cat is bad, there would be very little to no gains in replacing it. Pretty common for cats to vanish off of 6.0's, maybe not a bad thing?

Stock intake works good.

X2 What he said. Stay away from the canned tuners and get the SCT. You'll love it. Stock intake is pretty good if not better than aftermarkets. Stick with it.

Not trying to start a debate but this has been my experience..... ok, first I put a turbo back magnaflow cat delete 4 in exhaust on, no real gains that I could notice...just better sound and quicker turbo spool up. Then a k&n fipk 2 on there and I swear it feels quicker accelerating through the gears and alot more whistle from turbo. I have recieved my custom sct 3 tunes from eric at innovative diesel and am going to try it out tomorrow and will repost the results. It might not be true, but Id swear by the intake and exhaust being better than stock as far as power goes, but Not positive????? Confused...... What do yall think???

more air in + more air out = more horsepower!

K&N FIPK + Magnaflow 4" Exhaust = Potential for more horsepower

Potential for more horsepower + SCT custom tunes =:bigsmile::bigsmile:

Just got the custom tunes emailed from eric today for the sct 3. Will run against my old 05 dmax with 100hp predator tune and 4in exhaust to see which one is faster from about 70 till????? haha. Will post results from runs soon.

Thanks for all the information. There is just too many things to choose from for a truck to make it right.

I would go with the Icon lift. I currently have the RCD 4" and I would think the RCD 6" would be closer in comparison to the Icon 4.5" Its not that I don't like the RCD, its just it seems to measure a little low, many confuse it for being leveled. It rides great and handles great (waaay better than an 8,000lb truck should) but as I said is a little low on the height department it seems. For comparison sake I would look at the RCD 6" 4-link Vs the Icon 4.5" lift.

To get a good idea on proportions of lift heights, tire sizes and rim sizes, as well as some good pricing on just about anything check out Truck Toyz Performance .. Experience Matters! or PM DCSpecial on here.

Definitely get an SCT tuner if you do any performance tuning, then talk to one of the custom tuners and get a file that is exactly what you are looking for. I have been running Innovatives Xtreme Race for at about 10,000 miles (truck currently has 93k on it) and I have had some puking but runs and drives great.

I would go with the Icon lift. I currently have the RCD 4" and I would think the RCD 6" would be closer in comparison to the Icon 4.5" Its not that I don't like the RCD, its just it seems to measure a little low, many confuse it for being leveled. It rides great and handles great (waaay better than an 8,000lb truck should) but as I said is a little low on the height department it seems. For comparison sake I would look at the RCD 6" 4-link Vs the Icon 4.5" lift.

To get a good idea on proportions of lift heights, tire sizes and rim sizes, as well as some good pricing on just about anything check out Truck Toyz Performance .. Experience Matters! or PM DCSpecial on here.

Definitely get an SCT tuner if you do any performance tuning, then talk to one of the custom tuners and get a file that is exactly what you are looking for. I have been running Innovatives Xtreme Race for at about 10,000 miles (truck currently has 93k on it) and I have had some puking but runs and drives great.

Do you have a picture of your truck? I am still going back and forth some other people told me to try and take a 2.5" ICON leveling kit and replace the 4" blocks with 5" Fabricated Blocks w/ Built in Bump Stop and add the TEI Relocation Bracket Kit in the front to get an extra 1" of lift in the front and the back, what else would I need for the kit? Do I need to worry about getting the Adjustable Pan Rod Bar? I guess it would be a 3.5" kit that I would be trying to make. If you think this is a bad idea or can't be done or think that it can be done, I would appreciate any advice and help. If there are any other parts that I am leaving out please feel free to list them. Thanks a lot. If you think that the RCD is lower than the ICON then that would probably be the kit for me. but I didn't know if by going with the leveling kit and making the certain mods, if that would work for a little less.

Do you have a picture of your truck? I am still going back and forth some other people told me to try and take a 2.5" ICON leveling kit and replace the 4" blocks with 5" Fabricated Blocks w/ Built in Bump Stop and add the TEI Relocation Bracket Kit in the front to get an extra 1" of lift in the front and the back, what else would I need for the kit? Do I need to worry about getting the Adjustable Pan Rod Bar? I guess it would be a 3.5" kit that I would be trying to make. If you think this is a bad idea or can't be done or think that it can be done, I would appreciate any advice and help. If there are any other parts that I am leaving out please feel free to list them. Thanks a lot. If you think that the RCD is lower than the ICON then that would probably be the kit for me. but I didn't know if by going with the leveling kit and making the certain mods, if that would work for a little less.

Here is what mine looks like, part of it sitting low could be from it being a crew cab long bed, but I don't think thats all of it.

DSC02436.jpg

DSC02439.jpg

This is with 325/65R18 (34.6x12.8) Nitto terra grapplers on 18x9 Pro Comp rims with 5" of backspacing. With a little more backspacing these tires can be cleared with a leveling kit, mine rubbed on the factory mudflap and clear the bumper plastic valence by about 1/2" without trimming.

The rear block for the RCD 4" kit is 4.25" while the Icon 4.5" kit uses a 5" block. I have backed up tailgate to tailgate with my dads bone stock 00' regular cab long bed and the gates were dead even, and also parking next to regular cab long beds it appears my cab height is even. One time parking next to a crew cab short bed that had the Icon 4.5" lift and stock 18" tires the Icon lifted truck was about an inch taller than my truck with lift and tires.

Hope this helps ya, and good luck with your research.

Here is what mine looks like, part of it sitting low could be from it being a crew cab long bed, but I don't think thats all of it.

DSC02436.jpg

DSC02439.jpg

This is with 325/65R18 (34.6x12.8) Nitto terra grapplers on 18x9 Pro Comp rims with 5" of backspacing. With a little more backspacing these tires can be cleared with a leveling kit, mine rubbed on the factory mudflap and clear the bumper plastic valence by about 1/2" without trimming.

The rear block for the RCD 4" kit is 4.25" while the Icon 4.5" kit uses a 5" block. I have backed up tailgate to tailgate with my dads bone stock 00' regular cab long bed and the gates were dead even, and also parking next to regular cab long beds it appears my cab height is even. One time parking next to a crew cab short bed that had the Icon 4.5" lift and stock 18" tires the Icon lifted truck was about an inch taller than my truck with lift and tires.

Hope this helps ya, and good luck with your research.

Thanks for the information. I read on ICON's website that all kits that fit the F250 Superdutys sit 1" higher than posted due to weight. Do you think by me modifying an ICON 2.5" leveling kit would do the trick or do you think that I would be better off with an RCD? I like the ICON 4.5" but it's just so damn expensive.

My wifes truck
Very nice truck . Do you think that I should go for a 4.5" ICON or 4" RCD? or should I try the 2.5" leveling kit with a little extra mods; meaning add the TEI upgrade to gain that extra inch and add the 5" blocks rather than the 4" blocks. According to the ICON website their kits sit 1" higher on all F250 Superduty trucks due to weight. I am only running my stock wheels right now. Any advice would be awesome and very much appreciated. Thanks.

Back