Series 60 Detroit HELP!!! DDEC 2

Tcolesanti

ALL NIGHTER
Does anyone know how to get fault codes out of a DDEC II without a pro-link or DTC reader? I am in afghanistan right now with a series 60 running on 4 cylinders, I would like to know why and which ones, or if its a bad sensor somewhere. Thanks in advance

-Tom

Sorry dude, I asked Detroit techs the same question and unless its got a Detroit monitor in the dash (which 99.9% of truck didn't) you're going to have to hook it to a computer to get the codes I think. Have you tried unhooking the batteries for a couple minutes?

To bad i could have gotten you one a week ago. Had one do the same thing to me about a month ago, hooked up the DDEC and turned out it thought it was a series 50. Dont ask me how that happened, but it did. LOL

Only way would be in dash without servicelink hook up...on start up you should have a fault code that comes on for a few seconds, you can also use ur trip button to browse through. if u get the code i can look it up for you, other than that ill ask some of the Detroit techs at work for you.

Ok this is the deal, I changed out the crank position sensor (down near the bottom of the gear case on the driver side-no change. I swapped out TPS's-no change. I switched out ECM's-no change. I did a voltage check at the injectors, they all have voltage. I swapped injectors out with another truck that is identical-no change. I do know that numbers 4, 5, and 6 are not fireing for whatever reason. It has a engine diag. button underneath the dash, and if I turn the key on, the check engine light blinks a code at me, but I have no way to decipher it. Does anyone know how to do that?

-Tom

the wiring harrness going to the injectors check it very closely i had a wire ground out on a valve spring once in a while it took a couple weeks to find that one

Does anyone know how to get fault codes out of a DDEC II without a pro-link or DTC reader? I am in afghanistan right now with a series 60 running on 4 cylinders, I would like to know why and which ones, or if its a bad sensor somewhere. Thanks in advance

-Tom

I got 8 Pro-Links setting in front of me right now...Sorry man...

What sucks is that it does no good to call a heavy truck place cause all they do is want to tell you to bring it to them so they can look at it...F'n funny aint it...I have tried this as I am in Iraq and have gotten no where...

Tom which model 915 is it...Do you got the TM for it...Are you a military mechanic?

Its a 916, 6x6. I have an electronic TM, but it does not go in depth enough. I think I have narrowed it to a bad injector harness. I will swap that and see what I got. I am a US Navy Heavy Equipment Operator, but I will work on the equipment when I have down time.

-Tom

Check battery power fuses you have one fuse for #123 injectors and one for #456 so check that. they should be 15 amp fuse

Its a 916, 6x6. I have an electronic TM, but it does not go in depth enough. I think I have narrowed it to a bad injector harness. I will swap that and see what I got. I am a US Navy Heavy Equipment Operator, but I will work on the equipment when I have down time.

-Tom

SeaBee??

Roger that...If you ever need any TM's let me know...I got a few thousand...Yes...Thousand...

tom if you can tell me the blink patterns ive got a few dtc code readers out in my tool box the check engine light will flash in series like (blink pause blink blink} see thats (1 2 ) no fault codes if u still need help with it gimme a flash pattern an ill get you thre codes for it most cause when the ddec2 an ddec3 wireing problems on our fleet was at rear of the head just above the coolant sensor the grounds would break an it did it on just about every freightliner that was made in mexico model from 1999-2004 fld series but if you need the codes explained get me a flash pattern an ill get ya the readouts .let me know

oh a lil more help for ya is none of the sensors on a series 60 will cut out any of the injectors SRS.TRS.LOW COOLANT.COOLANT.OIL PRES. ITS EITHER GONNA be injector harness.ground to rear injector feed breaker/fuse or broke wireing

Just checked all the fuses, and replaced the whole injector harness. Still nothing. Any more ideas? Do you know which fuses are the ones for the injectors? All the ones in the panel between the seats are good.

-Tom

The fuses for the injectors should be in the battery box, on over the road trucks they are anyway?

I found the fuses by the battery box, they are both good, both have 12v power but only one has resistance. The one that works (the front three cylinders) showed 203 ohms, while the one that does not work (the back three) showed none. Any more ideas?

-Tom

I got it, the power wire (241) was broken just south of the ecm, not all the way through but enough to have a severe voltage drop and not power up the back three injectors. I patched the wire and presto, this thing runs like a raped ape! Thanks to all who helped me along on this one.

-Tom

Back