Serious Turbo Lag Problem

6.0superduty

After changing tunes yesterday, my turbo seems to always be "off". It no longer whistles at idle, only rumbles. Its like always driving around with a turbo switch off. It takes forever to spool, but once it does, it runs fine, but only makes 25lbs of boost. The truck itself runs fine always. I have tried the stock tune, and three other tunes. The turbo was just cleaned last week, the VGT solenoid was swapped with a known working one, I have oil pressure feeding the turbo, and power and ground to both sides of the solenoid plug. There is ground in the amount of 0.17V DC and power is 12.7 with the engine off, key on. Does anybody know what the duty cycle% should be at idle? What am I missing? Thanks

All you changed was your tunes, or did this start after you cleaned the vanes?

Try changing your tune back to the old one and see what happens.

I only changed tunes and when I started it up after programming, the turbo never started to whistle. It ran fine for a week after the cleaning.

I figured it out. Something was messed up in my turbo switch. I unhooked it and everything is good again. Thanks

There's a turbo switch?

This is probably the best place to ask this then:

Why is it the turbo doesn't spool when the truck is in neutral?

Is this a serious question?

Yeah it was a serious question. I'm no mechanic - I was under the impression that if the engine was producing exhaust it would spin the turbo and create boost. I read up on it and understand now it won't do so without a load (which was plainly obvious, but I didn't know WHY).

Exhaust alone doesn't spool the turbo...think thermal expansion (heat), pressure differentials and exhaust flow. LOL

Last edited:
My 03 lost its major whistle after installing DJ's tunes last spring. Still runs great. Just cleaned it and it wasn't too bad. What turbo switch are you refering to ?

Exhaust alone doesn't spool the turbo...think thermal expansion (heat), pressure differentials and exhaust flow. LOL

I'm glad you edited your post. I was beginning to think you were screwing with me.

It was the pressure differential I didn't know about, and also why it doesn't build boost in neutral.