Serpentine belt issue...

JFlagg

Gun for Hire
I have a problem and before I just start swapping parts, I want to make sure I swap the right one first. Recently my serp. belt has started walking. It moves forward one groove till the pulleys cut that rib off, then it walks forward another and does the same....As an experiment I moved the remaining part of the belt to the pack of the pulleys and drove it that way for a few miles to see which pulley was causing the "walk" From what I can tell its my tensioner, the belt stayed in place on all pulleys except the one before and after the tensioner (AC compressor and idler) From these results would I be safe in assuming its the tensioner that needs replacing? Anyone else have this problem? This is my second belt in about 5K miles and at 30 bucks a pop I don't want to keep replacing them and not fix the problem.

Sounds like the tensioner bearing has gone out, look it over real close since a loose bolt allowing it to cant would have about the same result.

Take the belt off and spin everything by hand. If you have something causing a bind in the belt it will cause them to do this.