Setting up my trailer brake

sootfoot

IH Nut
Hey guys getting my dually ready for pulling season an got a few questions.

Trailer is a pro-trak 25+5 Tandem dual rated at 20k. I am using a Tekonsha brake controller. Setting the controller it states to lock the trailer brakes up and then back it down a touch. I can't get the brakes to lock up. The trailer itself weighs 64xx lbs. Seems to me it would be pretty tough to lock them up. The trailer stopped well with about 14k worth of logs on it.

Am i wrong in my thinking? Should they lock up?

Also what should I expect from my 48RE when towing? I never towed this heavy, 1066 weighted up to 13.5k, with an auto. Always my 6spd. Any tips for running the auto? It will be hauling about 2x a month on mostly level ground, no mountains......yet.

Thanks for any help

If your brakes do not lock up they need adjusted or replaced. I always run the controller as high as I can with my big trailer, and my little trailer at 50% power or it locks up the brakes when normal stopping.

As for towing, if you have nothing done to the truck and the trans be ready for it to take a while to get up to speed, other than that tow-haul mode and you should be good to go.

Thanks Travis, I will check the adjustment on them soon

Its stock for now, want to do EFI live but figure a built trans should probably be done first.

My 25+5 tandem dual would only lock up in stones, grass, snow, etc. I just set them to what I was comfortable with. I had the trailer do majority of the braking, but not enough to throw you in the steering wheel.

You definitely want to feel the trailer pulling the truck slower when braking.

I could def feel it slowing the truck down.

I think I'm gonna get it apart this spring and check the brakes, just a peace of mind thing. Thanks for the help guys

If dot stops you that part of an inspection and you will be put out of service and have to have them repaired on the spot ! Ask me how i know lol !

Elec brakes suck and with a full load its real hard to lock the brakes up ,but yet at the weight station he'll tell you to lock the brake controller and step on the gas . If it doesn't skid the tires ,it's a fail . I just changed backing plates and drums and still doesn't stop like it should . Good luck !

Me personally, I'm always changing it up and down. In stop and go traffic I would keep it light so the trailer wouldn't "drag". On the highway I would crank it up to where I liked it. I never tried to drag the wheels empty on asphalt so I don't know if it would. Every year I would pull drums, clean, grease, and adjust. Years ago I was talking to an engineer from Dexter when I was buying some axles, and his direct quote on brakes was "our axles are not designed to stop, but only to slow down". Take it for what it's worth.

Thanks for the input PSUCE, I am thinking even fully adjusted they won't lock up, but once it warms up and this storm goes through i will get looked at. Pulling season is almost here and I need her ready to go.

Flat out, there ain't a tandem duals trailer out there that will lock the brakes with electric brakes..... Every DOT stop I've heard of they want you to roll about 10 mph and apply only the electric brakes. Trailer should stop truck... But, I think it all depends on the DOT guy and if he's got his panties in a bunch or not.....

My triple axle 28' will lock the brakes easily. Two axles have electric brakes. Weighs about 5k lbs. I set the brake controller on 15% empty and it slows the truck, 20% empty and it locks the trailer brakes. Loaded with 15K lbs, I set it at about 25%-30% and it works great. I do keep adjusting while is use though. I hate going into a parking lot and have the trailer brakes jerk me grabbing and letting go.

Tekonsha controllers are usually inertia controlled and need to be angled rear up, not sure what model you have. Just by tilting my controller I can lock brakes up or have no brakes at all.

Back