shake at idle

snow ram

Newb
starters: the truck is an 05, one ton. its got a bully dog, torque tube, and no cat. 50,000 miles, just got it 3 weeks ago.

well about a week and a half ago, i started my truck and i noticed almost what seemed to be a misfire, or rough running at idle... drove the truck, and it went away a few minutes after
started my truck up today, and it was doing the same thing, drove it for lunch, got back to work, still did it. so i pulled it into the shop and let it warm up, i thought maybe it was just a little cold so i was going to rule that out.
well after 5 or 6 hours sitting in the shop i backed it out tonight and it still ran rough, so on my way home i layed into the throttle once and when i pulled into the driveway, the rough running was gone

i was at first thinking a bad injector, but it puzzled me as to why it would just do it once a week or two ago and now it started doing it again and just go away.

i just changed the oil and the level was fine before i changed it and so far i havent noticed a level increase. its getting around 18ish mpg and doesnt leave a haze of smoke where it goes

any ideas?

First off what BD tune are you running? Crazy Larry? How cold is it there in SD? My 05 does the same thing on a cold morning when on the CL tune. I figure that since CL has so much timing advance its injecting fuel before the air is being compressed enough to provide an adequate atmosphere to eficiently ignite the fuel. Try putting it back to stock and drive it for a few days. I bet this solves the problem.

its just the everyday bullydog tune.... no C.L.
on the days i have noticed, it was between 25-40ish degrees
i have had it happen when i turn the programmer down to stock and when the programmer is tuned to performance setting
i thought even with the timing bumped up, it would go away once the truck is warm

I had a similar problem except mine has a slight miss and was blowing white smoke when the miss occurred. It was also idling rough. It turned out to be a bad injector, I had that fixed and it runs like a champ now.