She swallowed something =D

DieselFan808

I was having issues with my truck last week. It was surging at idle and while driving. The RPMs were a bit sporadic and it was in limp mode.
While letting it idle in my driveway, the belt shredded partially and made it sound like there was something really wrong. Found that, replaced it, checked for damage and then a hellish sound came from the top. I thought I had swallowed something in there, then it idled back to normal like nothing happened, as I went around to turn it off, it went back to the same BS.

Too frightened to start it up again I made the decision to pull the f'n head and check for a dropped seat.

I did not have my gauge display at the time, as I have been borrowing one so I wasn't able to see an fluctuations at the time of the mishap.

After all this, I went ahead and got to work.

IMG_20150311_162715690_HDR_zpsh4onajde.jpg

IMG_20150311_184637759_zpsgx3gcxhm.jpg

Cylinder #3 Rocker
IMG_20150312_111821927_zpszh24cghe.jpg

Cylinder #6 Rocker
IMG_20150312_111831848_zpsojnliksq.jpg

normal #2 Rocker
IMG_20150312_111841072_zpspcqhebza.jpg

IMG_20150314_184934077_HDR_zpskzwoqnl3.jpg

IMG_20150314_184904954_zpsy6cvrxm1.jpg

IMG_20150314_184924357_zps72ummnyx.jpg

Pistons look great. You can still see the original crosshatches or whatever you call them. There's a little carbon build up on 1 & 6, but nothing that concerns me.
No abnormal valve protrusion visible, waiting for spring compressor from CPP to arrive!

Here's a list of what I've bought so far so this heifer can be running soon:
From CPP:
Head gasket set.
Valve Compressor Tool
ARP 425's.

Elsewhere:
Injector Installation Kit from Dicapl (sp?)
Crower Performance Springs.
24 exhaust valve seals to replace all.
A set of 6.7 Rocker Arms, all 12.
And a replacement fuel drain manifold line which I bent during head removal.
I am having the head machined and everything cleaned out by a friend for a good deal.

As far as anything goes am I on a good path to having this back together? I ordered the extra parts just for the sake of having it done now.
I don't have deep pockets but just enough to get what I have now and then a little extra when it pops up.

Any advice or pointers on something relatively consumer price friendly is highly appreciated.

Sorry the pics aren't showing up properly. They're too large, but viewable on the links above them.

Take the time and remove all the freeze plugs for the head valley and tap the holes and put in screw in plugs. Not to expensive but a worthwhile bit of insurance.

I wonder why that happened. Glad you caught it in time. Do you see any signs of broken rings?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you find the odd idle? Cause I see nothing that says it was the culprit.

I wonder why that happened. Glad you caught it in time. Do you see any signs of broken rings?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nothing is broken, nothing is odd aside from the rocker arm caps..
Like it says above, pistons were great and what i can see looks great.
With 110# springs on the way, do you think this may be a concern for the seats?!? I keep hearing that CRs are notorious for this, but on a different source, credible that is, it says 03-04 aren't the ones with the issues... :bang

I was thinking about dropping the oil pan and giving the insides a rough inspection...

Did you find the odd idle? Cause I see nothing that says it was the culprit.

I don't know yet. After the head is put back in I'll know valves won't be the culprits.. So, this may have been overkill but at least the head will be good for a while.
I was thinking something fuel related, the more and more i dig it's what i'm leaning towards.
I plan to get the injectors tested and popped to make sure they aren't an issue. And then checking the FCA, maybe upgrading while I'm at it with a Bag O Parts maybe? That's IF it's not the CP3 to begin with. If it is.... :soap::nail::soap: The wife will be so mad LOLLOL

Take the time and remove all the freeze plugs for the head valley and tap the holes and put in screw in plugs. Not to expensive but a worthwhile bit of insurance.

Where do i find these plugs? I'm sure no sho:ford:ddy brands will be mentioned :lolly:

I've seen the lash caps do that before. No idea exactly why it happened but it did.

I don't see anything in the head causing an intermittent idle issue. I'm gonna say that's a fueling or computer issue and more so the fueling side. However I'm no expert by a long shot and most here know more than I've forgotten.

03-04 most definitely are not without valve seat problems. You're already that far, have the seats replaced by a COMPETENT machinist. Any shop can do the job, but not all know the "tricks" to making them stay put.

03-04 most definitely are not without valve seat problems. You're already that far, have the seats replaced by a COMPETENT machinist. Any shop can do the job, but not all know the "tricks" to making them stay put.

If anything it seems early cr's are more prone to dropping them.

You do not pop test CR injectors. At this point, your money will be better spent having it properly diagnosed than throwing parts at it.

A good shop about an hour half away offered $20 per valve seat with labor.
So that racked up real quick. Is this a pretty good deal? I thought so but idk.
How exactly do the seats drop? What causes it? Closing pressure, heat and floating?

You wouldn't pop test the nozzle either, that's for mechanical injectors. From what I've seen, it's 250-300 to test a set of cr injectors.

The "shake test" doesn't really tell you much. Similar to the "pull the plug and let it max rail pressure" test.

I've had luck with oversize seats being interference fit. Basically big seat chilled and pressed into hot small hole. Never had them peened in, but also a common practice. Can't quote prices, been awhile since I've had it done. Even at $400-500, still cheaper than an engine.

Head threaded plug kit can be bought at several places, such as Pure Diesel Power.

Get someone with a true scanner, such as a Snap on or Mac. Hook it up and let semi modern technology help you.

Last edited:
I have seen many trucks with the plastic caps broken. Actually about all of them will have a couple missing. Does it hurt anything, no, but makes it a pain in ass putting back together without them. From what you are describing kinda sounds like truck was maxing out rail pressure(fca possibly) and scaring you. Little late to diagnose now...

when was the last time you checked your valve lash?

also, cut your damn toenails
Lol. Already did.

You wouldn't pop test the nozzle either, that's for mechanical injectors. From what I've seen, it's 250-300 to test a set of cr injectors.

The "shake test" doesn't really tell you much. Similar to the "pull the plug and let it max rail pressure" test.

I've had luck with oversize seats being interference fit. Basically big seat chilled and pressed into hot small hole. Never had them peened in, but also a common practice. Can't quote prices, been awhile since I've had it done. Even at $400-500, still cheaper than an engine.

Head threaded plug kit can be bought at several places, such as Pure Diesel Power.

Get someone with a true scanner, such as a Snap on or Mac. Hook it up and let semi modern technology help you.

The plugs, is it the ones IN the head or on the sides??
Local O'Reilly rents a fancy Bosch. Supposedly has all the major parameters.

I have seen many trucks with the plastic caps broken. Actually about all of them will have a couple missing. Does it hurt anything, no, but makes it a pain in ass putting back together without them. From what you are describing kinda sounds like truck was maxing out rail pressure(fca possibly) and scaring you. Little late to diagnose now...

Yeah, it is. But I know I'll be checking it, I read somewhere that 2.4-4 ohms is good?

Back to the original concern for tear down, I had a common rail come in the shop running like you are describing and it ended up being the fca bad. Just my 2 cents

Back