Shell Rotella T stinks!!

cummins939

anyone use rotella and the smell is horrid? ive switched to mobile delvac 1300 and no smell at all. why is shell so stinky?

Yep, I ran that back in 05 when I got my truck, it didnt last long. I ended up adding some tubing to the valve cover vent to send all the stink out the back of the truck..Switched to Amsoil, all has been good for the last 100K.

Dunno, but it dissipates after a few hundred miles.

It's also the reason I use Mobil Delvac.

Lol I've never noticed. Ill have to check after this road trip is done.

Sent from my phone.

I've heard people say it smells but never noticed it myself?

I switched to Valvoline Premium Blue in my 99 before selling it. I plan to run Champion Blue Flame CI-4 in my 97's new motor. No ZDDP additive needed.

I had great luck with it in my cummins, and I always get a good oil analysis in my duramax, so I don't see a reason to change brands

I had great luck with it in my cummins, and I always get a good oil analysis in my duramax, so I don't see a reason to change brands

^This^. It is all we run in out big trucks and farm tractors, it been a while since I went around sniffing oil though.

Between all 17 of the trucks we have at work we have several million miles driven on rotella oil, if its good enough for a 14 litre cummins its good enough for my little 6.6

We run it in the pulling tractor, and haven't noticed it while it's running, but then again, that engine doesn't have a crankcase vent to the atmosphere. It vents itself directly into the intake ports in the head. It sure has a distinct smell to it when you open the jug though!

in my DD i use shaefers oil and my puller i use rotella T. you can smell it in the puller bad whenever the motor gets hot.

nothing against it, thats all i ran in my 250,000mile 12valve but its deff. not something you have to try and notice. it comes through the vents in the winter time so bad

Good enough for me, I was just curious.

It has an aroma for sure. I dont see the issue.
Me either. The wife didn't care for it.
Between all 17 of the trucks we have at work we have several million miles driven on rotella oil, if its good enough for a 14 litre cummins its good enough for my little 6.6
I so want to mock you for this, but I won't...:D

Back