Shift Range Inhibated

RedneckTom

I just got my 2003 GMC D-max and when i go to put into drive the message "Range shift inhibated" what does this mean, also my check engine light came on after that showed up. Please help me!!!!!

Is your truck stock? It could a lot of things.

Do you have a way to read the code it threw?

Could be:

Dirty Allison Filter
Bad NSBU switch (buy at Allison Dealer)
Stuck solenoid (rare)
Limped transmission from too much power
If it's an LBZ and you are running an Edge, it could be the Edge doing it.
If you are running a CoPilot, it can do it.

Most common is the NSBU switch, which you can fix in your driveway.

RedneckTom said:
the truck is bone stock and i just go it yesteday is lemon law in effect?
Tom

Depends on your state. Some states have "cooling off" laws, others don't. Lemon laws only apply if the dealer cannot fix a problem after a few tries.

I assume your truck is 2003 GMC or Chevrolet Duramax Allison 2500HD/3500SRW/3500DRW that just right out of the blue with very few miles on it, you started it up and and it instantly coded?

Very difficult to diagnose anything whatsoever with absolutely zero information from the truck owner or driver other than:

This Dawg Don't Hunt! What's Up???

This could be something extremely minor, something catastrophic, or something directly caused by the owner. Not a freakin' clue based on your description.

Here's valid advice based on your extensive data of the problem:

Yup. Something is not right.

Do I sound grumpy? Yes. If you want help, do not force people to pry the info out of you. We are not GM, we did not drive your truck. We can't even read your mind.

Last edited:
OPPSS!!! Sorry!

It's a 2003 LB7 Dmax that you bought used yesterday?

How do YOU know it's bone stock?

i dont know that is bone stock but i talked to a guy who knows the allison and he said that when he put edge products that code pops up and he said to take it back to where i got it and have them diagnois it and fix it but the wierd thing is after i drive it awhile it quits but the check engine light is on this is my first chevy and i dont know what to do

Does it have an Edge box on it or not?

Remove it and see if it goes away.

How many miles?

i have been all over the truck and couldnt find an edge box and the truck has 54,000 miles

RedneckTom said:
i have been all over the truck and couldnt find an edge box and the truck has 54,000 miles

If you bought it from a dealer, take it them back and have them fix it.

The "Name that trans Game " ................

With Your host : RedneckTom.....

And our first contestant McRat........McRat ! Can you fix this trans with only 1 clue ?..................

Ohh It looks like RedneckTom needs to give us another clue !LOL :pop:

Here's the Allison Story:

At stock power levels, the Allison is nearly bulletproof and will normally last the life of the truck. But you must change the spin-on filter (cheap and easy) now and then, and the Neutral Switch (NSBU) on the side of the trans is an exposed component that is known to have problems. It is cheap and easy to replace as well.

If the truck has been running a programmer or box at a high power level, the transmission clutches and torque converter clutch will wear out prematurely. This is expensive to fix, and is a common upgrade for guys who want to run big HP tuning in their truck.

Too add to the story, diagnosis is impossible to do accurately with out knowing the codes stored.

im going to take the truck back tomorrow and a friend of mine will get the code read before i take it so i can tell the dealership what it is thanks guys!
Tom

Gee wizz Mcrant

McRat said:
Depends on your state. Some states have "cooling off" laws, others don't. Lemon laws only apply if the dealer cannot fix a problem after a few tries.

I assume your truck is 2003 GMC or Chevrolet Duramax Allison 2500HD/3500SRW/3500DRW that just right out of the blue with very few miles on it, you started it up and and it instantly coded?

Very difficult to diagnose anything whatsoever with absolutely zero information from the truck owner or driver other than:

This Dawg Don't Hunt! What's Up???

This could be something extremely minor, something catastrophic, or something directly caused by the owner. Not a freakin' clue based on your description.

Here's valid advice based on your extensive data of the problem:

Yup. Something is not right.

Do I sound grumpy? Yes. If you want help, do not force people to pry the info out of you. We are not GM, we did not drive your truck. We can't even read your mind.
Take 150mg of efexor before bed and get Baack to us in three weeks with a new TUDE.....Baad boys detuning program:poke:

MrBaadBoy said:
Take 150mg of efexor before bed and get Baack to us in three weeks with a new TUDE.....Baad boys detuning program:poke:

You know the old " My check engine light came on; what do you think is wrong " without further info does get a little old after a while.

Mike L. said:
You know the old " My check engine light came on; what do you think is wrong " without further info does get a little old after a while.
yep... and it helps to have a very descriptive signature filled out...