should i add a mufler or not

cummins freak

I love my mini semi
How would my truck sound and perform If i put a muffler on my stacks as i drive a lot on the road and am kind of getting sick of the constant LOUD hum and some times i like to talk to the person next to me

I just got done fabbin' a 5" to the rear bumper with a Donaldson M09035 muffler and all I can say is coming from a 4" straight pipe , I wished I had done it along time ago. All I can hear is turbo now.:rockwoot:

Talk louder.
Really though a straight through muffler wouldn't hurt performance much. Even a little resonator would take the LOUD hum away. Put one on, if you think its too quiet or slow. it's easy enough to go back.

that is what i'm thinking sledge now how much will the resonator tone it down

If it is a drone (hum) then you probably just need to modify the harmonics.

No joke: take a chunk of cold-rolled steel (or something equiv.) that is about 2' long. Strap it to a section of the pipe with worm drive clamps. If you change the shape, you change the harmonics, and you can cut the drone out. I know of some who just leave that section of steel clamped to the pipe, and some that actually make an effort to modify the pipe to make it go away.

If it is actually NOISE, not drone, then you will have add a muffler or something similar. But, might save yourself some money by trying that first.

cummins freak said:
that is what i'm thinking sledge now how much will the resonator tone it down

That's Snedge. Thank you. The resonator tones it (the hum) down a good bit and takes away a small amount of noise.
I agree with Lucky however that by just changing the tone of the pipe you can change the sound. Also an easy test.
But the fact is a Cummins is loud with straight pipes. I know after about an hour or so in front of a set of stacks your head will begin to protest.
But I'm almost old.:)

every muffler/resonator I tried with my stacks made the interior resonance WORSE than straight piped :(

I'd like to build a setup using a kenworth muffler under the BED, but my new truck isn't getting stacks, so...

I know I always sound like a broken record, but SOUND DEADENER!!! makes a HUGE difference. the back wall and the roof are the key for cutting resonance, but do the floor and the doors too, and it'll probably calm it down enough for you.

if not, run an MBRP or Magnaflow muffler under the truck. you need something packed. a hollow can diesel muffler will just radiate resonance against the floor, and like I said, every one I tried was worse inside than none at all :(

NO

cummins freak said:
How would my truck sound and perform If i put a muffler on my stacks as i drive a lot on the road and am kind of getting sick of the constant LOUD hum and some times i like to talk to the person next to me
NO...............

no the d max guys are swearing buy it. the picked up hp and torque on the dyno and on the pulling track.