Should I sell her and just start over or go from here????

Kerm77

Ok, so here is the deal.....
I have a perfectly good fully functional 1994 F-350 crew cab 4x4, ranch hand bumpers front and rear along with a ranch hand headache rack and bed box brand new 35x12.50x16.5 BFG's. She only has 150k on her! But............. She is waaay tired and low on the power!! It's NOT a powerstroke it is an old IDI with a ZF 5speed manual tranny.
I was thinking about selling her and getting a 1994-98 dodge. But, I just keep thinking swap it. I can't get a crew cab Dodge back then and the old girl is really in great shape to be honest! Anyone know anything about there ZF trannys? In a perfect world I'd love to do a P-pump 12v with a NV5600. Is that a doable swap? How dose the ZF tranny hold up to Cummins motor? I am sure someone has so GREAT advice before I head down the wrong road either way.

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg308/kerm7713/bigblue.jpg

check out fordcummins.com and destroked.com... im planning my 12valve build/swap as we speak

do the swap. my zf6 holds up to the 12v just fine..u will love that old blue true and never wana get rid of it with a cummins in it

Just do it I did and I will do it to every other ford I own best thing I ever did. Get your stuff from destroked good guys.

I was in the same boat as you. My idi is going bye bye as soon as I find a 12v.

sounds like your getting the same answer, you guys that have done this before how about getting him a list of stuff he would need before swapping over. Im sure some of yall have found tricks to makeing the swap easier

That is what i was thinkin too. I really like my OLD 94. Guess it is time to start lookin for a 12v. Anyone have any good resources for a solid cummins motor? So, the ZF is a formidable tranny for say 450-500hp everyday? Because that would be my target. I don't want a truck that I just tune for the dyno or the track. In my like of work we tow 12-20k everyday. Also, can I use a late model intercooler in my truck? Like out of a 7.3 or 6.0 Ford?

Put a 12v in it and call it good, and reliable. Don't sell that ford, dodges suck:hehe:

You can use the 99 ford intercooler or any of the others, but the 99 is all aluminum. I ran the zf5 in mine for 40K and never had a problem. Then I switched to the zf6 for the bigger tranny, and I wanted the bigger clutch. Personally, I like the zf trannys better than any of the other light duty trannys out there.

I dont want to hijack a thread but I would appreciate any advice scince we have the same style of truck.

12v,
What Gear ratio do you have in your truck?
What transfer case are you running? My truck in 4low has no ass at all! I am assuming that mine must be sum substandard 2:1 T-case. Is there a 4:1 option? I would really like to go to a 6speed tranny. The 2-3 split is ridiculous in my ZF5!! You have to turn the motor so hard to over come the ratio difference between the gears(2nd-3rd).

I would like someone's advice in regards to the heat/ac system. How dose that all work? Do you just use a Dodge ac compressor?
Since my 1994 is not intercooled... Once I install the 99 intercooler do you need to run and electric fan instead of a clutch type? Is there any clearance issues? Can you move the Cummins motor back any(closer to the fire wall)? I am sure there is a wealth of knowledge to be obtained from all of you guys that have already done a swap. So, any and ALL help is greatly appreciated!! Anything that may stream-line the process. Maybe things you wish you would of done a little different(or if you had to do it again).
Also, how about some pics of the install? I would like to see what the fit and finish is going to look like.

I would run a 12 v for the ease i have 4.10 rearend wish i had a taller gear like a 3.55 or 3.73. Ac use the dodge compressor I dont know how your heat is set up on the older fords but on my superduty I just hooked up the heater core coolent lines use your ford sensors for oil coolant temp destroked has tach conversons. I built my own motor mounts and for a fan i run a electric but it really dosent run because the cummins are cold blooded.

Kerm77- I'm running 3.55 gears. Mines a 2wd, so no t-case. I will be converting it to 4x4, but only after I find a good f-550 chassis to put under it:evil.

I installed the intercooler in front of the ac. You can run a clutch fan or electric. The motor moves back about 3" and there is a small lip on the firewall that has to be flattened.
I like the looks of the new fordcummins mounts. I've seen a few trucks with them, and they seem to be working good. When I did my convesion, most people were using the ford ac and alt., but now it seems like they are using the dodge ones. I think on the obs trucks, you have to trim the cross member to fit the dodge ones. My setup works fine the way it is with the ford ac and alt.

Attachments

• IM000830aa.JPG
    IM000830aa.JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 20
I have been looking around for a block. Anyone have a lead on a place to find a 12v block?
How about sum where to get my hands on a NV5600?