Shut Down temp/time

Silver6.0

So I'm wondering what the ideal oil/Egt temp is for shut down on a 6.0. Or is it a better Idea to just let it idle for a general amount of time?

Thanks

generally look for 300 degree egt... you can cool it down faster downshifting with a stick.. if you have a timer sit and watch then set accordingly

I dont think after up to temp, mine will even get below 350. I tend to let mine get down to below 400, most of the time that only takes 15 or so seconds, if i was running it hard, ill let it sit a couple minutes before shutting er down.

I shut mine down on anything under 375 F. If running hard 350 F and a couple mintues longer.

I'm in FL and 90% of the time, my EGT's won't drop below 375 regardless of how long it idles. So for me, anything below 400 is my time to shut down.

Yeah any thing below 400 degrees is where I've been shutting down at, just wanted a second opinion

Thanks

Whatever comes first- 400* or my eagerness to get out of the truck. Most of the time I sit for about 5-10 seconds and call it quits lol

My '06 used to Idle at 317* So i'd let it cool off to 325* then shut down

usually around 400 degrees...

In the summer time though around here most truck will NOT cool down any lower than 450 even with anything less than 5 minutes of idleing.

As someone else mentioned downshifting does help. A lot of times (if paying attention) I click on the tow haul a a few hundred yards before turning into a parking lot and let the engine slow me down, that seems to cool the temps fairly quick.

Back