shut off solenoid help

Mudn_1

Sweet Home
I wired my shut off solenoid in using a Stock 70 amp relay. there are 2 grounds, one off #86 on the relay and one off the black wire on the solenoid itself, both going to negative battery terminal. the Red Middle wire goes to 87 on the Relay and white went inside to #9 fuse. also there is a wire going from #85 on the relay to the starter wire and also a wire from the relay #30 straight to the battery in which I added a fuseable link.

I hope you can understand all that, but I fired the truck and was letting it run. The solenoid smoked and got hot, bad hot. None of the wires that I wired were burnt, but the solenoid itself is burnt. What is my problem? I hate wiring..... I know I should just use a cable, but I wanted it to appear kind of factory... also the solenoid could be old, but I think its a wiring issue maybe....:nail:

Sounds like the start circuit from the starter solenoid is keeping the pull up circuit energized.
There are two circuits in the solenoid as you mentioned, one is the pull up during cranking, the other is the hold which stays energized during running condition.
The pull up will create a lot of heat if it is on for more than just a second

No Speakery Engerish!

So I just need to Check the pull wire off the starter... you know, come to think of it, the solenoid was pulling up when I turned the key on and not bumping the starter... but that doesn't make sense... shouldnt the starter be engaged if that wire is hot all the time?

You must have something wired wrong on the relay then. It should only pull up when cranking. You are pulling the signal wire from the small excite wire at the starter?

I found this photo the other day. Not used it myself yet. Maybe it'll help.

20140521_161626.jpg

The big wire should only energize until it's pulled right? Then the small wire keeps it up correct?

You must have something wired wrong on the relay then. It should only pull up when cranking. You are pulling the signal wire from the small excite wire at the starter?

yes... thats how I am confused... but come to think of it, the solenoid pulls up just as I switch the key on.... so Its getting 12v from the pull wire I reckon...that would make sense.... since it pulls right then

Message me or F/B me if you need to and I'll tell you how my 01' 12V is wired, had a little hell with it from stray voltage but it works 4.0 now!

Jim

thats how it was Jim, maybe my starter is sticking or something....

Yea. White is the "pull in", red is the "hold in" if i remember right.

One thing I have noticed is that the the red and white wires aren't the same on every solenoid. My friends OE Dodge solenoid is opposite from my OE industrial(school bus) solenoid.

small wire gets triggered by key on power

big wire gets triggered by starter hot
this one needs the relay lots of amps to move the solenoid

30 is battery +
87 is the big wire load
86 is ground
85 is signal from the starter wire

I would probably set a separate relay in for the hold position rather than just run it solely from a ign. hot.
the relay would wire the same except
use a different trigger ie. 12 volt ignition hot

Back