Shutdown issue, or lack there of

joez

Have an interesting issue that just cropped up. Driving home one day, i stopped off to run and errand, turn the key off and the truck continues to run. I figure no problem, its the solenoid. So i just leave it run, take care of what i need to, and head home. Get home, go to shut the truck down manually, pull the key out, pop the hood, only to find that the solenoid is down, in the off position. Hop back in the truck, turn the key to the run position, pull up on the lever and it pulls up and sticks. I end up having to load the motor up and blip the throttle to get it to shut down in gear.

So heres the problem, everything i can find on this subject is electronic. Well, my solenoid is working just fine and dandy like its supposed to, and the truck wont shut down. Anybody ever have this happen to them, or know where i have an issue?

Truck is a '97, auto, with a set of 435's, 0 plate, 60mm hybrid, and a 3KGSK. All of these mods had been on the truck for a while before this issue happened.

make sure that the solenoid is pushing down all the way on the fuel shutoff lever you could have a weak or bad spring inside the rubber boot of the solenoid and it isn't pushing down hard enough to cut the fuel off.

Easy way to check it is turn on and start truck shut it off, if it stays running when key is off again, check to make sure the solenoid is down then take your hand or a doll rod ect. and push down on the fuel shut off lever the solenoid is hooked to if it shuts off when you do this take off the solenoid check the spring if it seems to be strong still just adjust it longer so it pushes down on the lever more.

Solenoid was working flawlessly. I pulled it all apart and found the issue. There is a small keyway on the shutoff shaft that was empty. Somehow the piece of stock that once resided in there had somehow gone missing, or it was never there and the friction from the clamp finally broke. I took a piece of angle iron, whipped up a new key quick and its good as new.

Back