Silver 64 towing

Ragnar5823

I've got a silver 64 (64/74/14) I've been trying to sell for months with no luck so now I'm considering using it. I am going to Hamilton cams to have them do a basic port job and oring the head. I will also be putting on a 20 over head gasket, head studs, 110# valve springs, push rods, and a 188/220 cam. Will I be able to tow an 18 foot enclosed trailer without smoking the entire highway out? I also have a tight torque converter so i know that makes spoolup a littler slower. Any input?

I'd probably ditch the .020 over gasket idea, that'll make it dirtier. If you're going to the bigger gasket for piston to valve clearance, (I'm thinkin you shouldn't need to.) step back on camshaft and use a std gasket.

well im going to be having the head decked and figured i would need at least a 10 over head gasket. i know people have cold start problems with a thicker head gasket but right now im in texas and will be moving to hawaii next summer so i shouldnt have cold start issues. how does a thicker head gasket make it dirtier?

well im going to be having the head decked and figured i would need at least a 10 over head gasket. i know people have cold start problems with a thicker head gasket but right now im in texas and will be moving to hawaii next summer so i shouldnt have cold start issues. how does a thicker head gasket make it dirtier?

lowers the compression ratio and also moves the injector further away from the piston changing the spray pattern

yea that makes sense and i wasnt too worried about the compression ratio being lowered but the injector spray pattern is something i need to consider.

with the cam and port job, is there any way i can use the 64 to tow with? i know its a big turbo but i cant find anyone interested. ill keep trying to sell it until the head work is done and the cam is in but if its not sold by then, im going to just use it.

I like the 64 for towing, it's te 74 turbine that has me wondering if there's any way to use it. I originally nought because I was just going to use it to race but with all the stuff I'll be needing to move next summer, I need to be able to tow.

are you still looking to get rid of the charger? I have an He351cw and I would say it's great for towing on 12vs. I have instant boost.

I have a 64 i tow with and i love the turbo, cooler egt's up top. and if you dont mash peddle to the floor its not going to smoke out the whole highway. Don't get me wrong i can totally smoke a highway if i want too.

are you still looking to get rid of the charger? I have an He351cw and I would say it's great for towing on 12vs. I have instant boost.

im looking for a 62/68 or a 64/68.

I have a 64 i tow with and i love the turbo, cooler egt's up top. and if you dont mash peddle to the floor its not going to smoke out the whole highway. Don't get me wrong i can totally smoke a highway if i want too.

a 64/74?

so if the 64 tows good, will the 66 be out of question for towing?

What are you going to "tow"? A couple of jet skis or the occasional small trailer and you'll be fine with a 66.... a 40' gooseneck loaded with 15,000 lbs on it like i use all the time and the answer is hell no....your egts will peg the needle instantly. People's interpretation of "towing" varies a ton around here...I would recommend no bigger than a 64/65/12 for heavier towing and even that will heat up after a while

Depends on elevation, weight of trailer, tire size, auto or manual?

I have a 64 and dont tow heavy at all, but when I do tow its some what annoying. I easily black out the road when I get into certain situations. Especially on hills/grades.

Im going with twins next. I talked to a very respected vendor of Compd today and got some ideas going..........