Single turbo question

PRattenbury

Neophyte
I'm running a lot of fuel with the 13mm pump and the huge sticks. The twins I got have nice turbos, but the piping is crappe, to be honest. I'd like to make new butt welded cold piping, incorporate the external wastegate into the hot pipe and so forth as time allows me to. But for the time being I miss my truck and need it back in service. gotta haul doors and other stuff for the house. Impossible in a Mini Cooper. With all that fuel (700cc out the pump through 10-hole injectors), what would be a good single to use for a few months? Would a Silver Bullet or something around that size spool and keep the EGT's reasonable?

I would say a 66mm turbo would work good for you, prolly have to turn the pump down a bit though...

Yeah, It'll hafta be one that'll put out quite a bit of air. I wonder if I could run my 64/74/13SS as a single (my top turbo) for a while? Then I'd only be out the cost of a down pipe. It's gated, and I have a drive pressure gauge....

Dont see why not, pull some fuel also and try it out. Keep a close eye on the DP's with that tight TH though set the gate a tad looser also....

Will do. Just ordered to down pipe. Gonna get some new boots and clamps for the turbo side of the IC (pump side is good). I might be looking for an IC pipe for a single if I can't find my old one. It's been a couple years since I've run a single.

I've been looking at Garrett and Turbonetics BB turbos. These are both said to spool much quicker than a journal bearing charger, supposedly using only half the exhaust energy to spool. Sounds interesting to me, because if this is true it seems I could put a pretty big one on and move more air than I could get away with using the likes of an S300. Is this true? Maybe a T-72 or so? Would I still be way overfueled?

I just put the 64 on today to run as a single briefly.. but I'm gonna keep what I got for the twins. When I get em decent I'll put them on to see how I like them. Are u using the 66 as a top turbo? Not spooling quick enough? Might want to play with the gates and such before u give up on it. Also might want to pull back on pre-boost fuel. Give the chargers a better chance to get lit before you shower the fuel down on em. Tuning is critical. It just sucks I know so little about it yet. It'd almost be worth it just to bring the truck to the p-pump grand wizard of your choice and have it tuned. Sadly, there aren't any wizards near me (that I know of). So I ask my stupid questions on here, and get some good help.

I just put the 64 on today to run as a single briefly.. but I'm gonna keep what I got for the twins. When I get em decent I'll put them on to see how I like them. Are u using the 66 as a top turbo? Not spooling quick enough? Might want to play with the gates and such before u give up on it. Also might want to pull back on pre-boost fuel. Give the chargers a better chance to get lit before you shower the fuel down on em. Tuning is critical. It just sucks I know so little about it yet. It'd almost be worth it just to bring the truck to the p-pump grand wizard of your choice and have it tuned. Sadly, there aren't any wizards near me (that I know of). So I ask my stupid questions on here, and get some good help.

Twins are not installed yet, and yes I'm using the 66 on top. Gonna be interesting!! I'll see you in KY

Back