sled pulling mods and part numbers????

bonesmx2000

supportn the single moms
the plan is to turn my 97 into a dedicated pulling truck.
not sure what kind of hp i will be makeing, but im goin to go to a 13mm pump i believe.
any ways does anyone know how long a single piece driveshaft needs to be my truck is a exc long bed. also what u joints and yokes for the front and rear?????

how much hp can stk 35 spline dana 80 axels stand up too befor haveing to go to 37 spline

what is the best way to go with the front end dana 60???? leave it a 3 piece and weld it go to a 2 piece front end welded, or locker with lock outs??

i talked to raymac and they want 6 grand for a competition head bigger valves comp port job intake cut off ceramic coated dual rated valve springs with inconel valves i dont know but is it really worth it or does anyone have any better ideas

what kind of compression should i drop it down to

how much hp will the stk mainshaft in a 5 speed hold up to

i have several ideas im planning on useing for the motor side of things just wasnt sure what kind of hp i will end up with and not sure what the stk driveline will hold up to so far its held up good to a little over 500 hp and about 50 hooks but im wanting to go way way more than what i have

just looking for a little insight from people who have tried adbroke or tried and succeeded
thanks jeremy
im sure i will have more ?s after i get some answers

lol o yeah i forgot about that it would be a 2.8 class wether it be street class or superstreeet whatever the want to call it i dont care if they call it the tricycle class but it be a 3.0 bushed to a 2.8 and if dhra says it doesnt fly ill well everyone will know when they see it

For more info call garret at pure diesel power, he seems to be doing some thing right when it comes to pulling. + he has a stage 3 head in the works, and complet pulling motors also.

The driveline question depends on where your pulling. In indiana on the clay tracks you can trash stuff pretty good with 550hp. If you have some decent coin to drop, get 35 spline inners and a locker. The stock outers do pretty well. Lots of guys were running the stock front end with big HP. 97 has the smaller (30 spline) and they still hold up, unless you get to bouncing hard, then at that point anything will break. You can just weld your front stock carrier, but you really need the cad to still function so you can move around.
The lockouts really aren't that strong, and should be replace with driver plates if you go the lockout route. I have twisted the front drive shaft twice and the rear one once. Put 1480 ujoints and if it is a puller only go to a 1 piece shaft. Upgrade the front driveshaft to 1410 u joints. The ford uses 37 spline but I am pretty sure you won't get a set that will work in a dodge d80. I have the haisley 35 splines and they have held up so far. They make a similar axle in 37 spline if your buying a new carrier I would go the 37 spline route.

Last edited:
if you have the cash. i would get the scs kit for the rear end it comes with a spool 37 spline axels and drive plates i know several guys running 1,000 hp and none have ever had any issues with this set up. for the front i would get one of the hub conversion kits with the 35 spline axels both inner and outers and drive flanges instead of hubs then you can get a spool or a locker or if you want it to be easier to turn you can get an arb locker. it will turn with a spool or mech locker but it wont turn very sharp. as far as how much will a stock d80 shaft take my truck make 500 hp and i have broke them on the street. i doubt a 37 spline stock or even the yokon axels will be that much better

a Detroit locker w/35 spline inner axels in your d-60 will be the best set up for the front. It will turn fine and no lockouts or air compressers to deal with

thanks for the input so far i believe i have about a 20,ooo $ budget unless i can get grandpa to help invest money lol doubt it will happen i have yet to have a problem with hopping but it happens to everyone at some point or another i have a couple axels laying around from 99 00 and 96 and some ??? yrs that are fronts are any of them stronger than the others

Zstroken do you know how long the drive shaft has to be???i plan to take my 2 piece shaft to the shop when i get the single piece made they werent too sure when i talked to them about building it

any ideas from anyone what the mainshaft on a 5 sp will hold or should i not worry about it ?????

i know a few guys with 1,000 hp and they seem to hold up fine it will eat alot of other stuff first..