Smarty high idle question...

cumminspower09

Hey everyone, I have an '01 2500 and recently pluged in a smarty...everyone told me the smarty would install the high idle software for those cold mornins...I have had the smarty for a couple of months now and it has still never idled up...can anyone tell me what's up??? any input is appreciated

Yes... the smarty will leave the high idle setting even when removed from truck. I think it is when the truck reads 32* in the intake. Mine will come up to 1200RPM’s until it hits like 180-190* on the water timp.

Maybe it just hasn't been cold enough to trigger it....we have had some cold mornings though...who knows?? if anyone else has any input let me know

It has to be 32 at the intake. It has kicked in on me a few times in the last couple of weeks after work. It was pretty cold those days like 12 or so. I think the warmest it has been was around 25, but we had a pretty stiff wind that day. Where about do you live?

I plug my truck in every evening and have never had the Smarty kick in the high idle.
Just the other day I left the truck out of the garage and not plugged in and it finally ramped up to 1100 rpms after it idled for about 4-5 minutes.

There's several criteria that have to be met for high idle to engage. If you plug the truck in it won't work because the water temps will be too high. Cleaning the iats might help it kick in. Last winter mine would ramp up idle when temps hit the low 20's and went to three cylinder when temps dropped down to the single digits. I've cleaned my iats since then, but I haven't done any starts when its that cold yet.

IAT <= 32*
Coolant temp < 140*
Trans in Park if auto, or neutral if manual
Throttle position 0%
Park brake engaged
I think those are all o the parameters.

Parking brake doesn't have to be engaged, even in a manual. What is the temp for the 3 cylinder idle?

You are right. Here is a link to the TSB. The SERVICE brake must not be depressed. It has all of the info about the high idle.

As some stated earlier it may be 32 at the intake but mine only seems to idle up when its reading 28 or below on the mirror. Its been in the 20's here lately and its been working all the time. Your welcome to head up to blustery Michigan and I bet it works then. LOL

It has to be 32* at the IAT, so the ambient temp has to be colder than that to make it through the grid heater and still be cold enough.

I thank everyone for there input...I guess it's just not cold enough here yet for the idle to kick in. I live in East Tennessee and the coldest mornin we have had here so far is probably 35

I live here in Nashville, and my Smarty high idle has been working. However, I don't have a grid heater, so my IAT=Outside air temp.

Weird, My dodge dealership said that my truck "Isn't set up" for the high idle flash that they can install...truck is in the sig.

If there's any way you could borrow a smarty, when you go back to stock you'll get all the current ecm updates. Dunno if you're going to find one in Juneau though.

Sounds like the dealer is making an excuse for their incompetence.

Ph4tty said:
Sounds like the dealer is making an excuse for their incompetence.
Sounds like there are more than a few dealers doing this. Take them a copy of the TSB and see what they have to say:rules:

I feel like it has been cold the past few mornings for my high idle to work...so I don't know why it isn't

IAT may need to be cleaned or replaced. If it tells the ECM the wrong temp it won't work.

Back