Smarty popping?

badbowtie

custom engine daydreamer
My truck is an 04 with arson 3 kit on it. It still has stock injectors and an ad150 lift pump. When flooring the accelerater pedal in 2nd gear it goes good untill about 2800 and it starts popping. It only does it in 2nd it is good in all the other gears. Any suggestions Running smarty tnt sw7 stock torque management. Not stacked with any other device. Am i just draining my rail, why only in 2nd gear? TIA Jason

My 03 engine was doing this too. I left it on sw7 but changed the timing to 3 and it hasn't done it since.

popping

My truck is an 04 with arson 3 kit on it. It still has stock injectors and an ad150 lift pump. When flooring the accelerater pedal in 2nd gear it goes good untill about 2800 and it starts popping. It only does it in 2nd it is good in all the other gears. Any suggestions Running smarty tnt sw7 stock torque management. Not stacked with any other device. Am i just draining my rail, why only in 2nd gear? TIA Jason

Usually it is a timing issue. Turn it off completely and try it and see if it doesn't go away and then just add a level at a time until it pops and then you'll be at the sweet spot.

it's not rail drain, it's a timing thing... very common w/ 03/04 and TNT

on my early 04, I ran TNT9 with the TST on power level 4 and could still hold 20-21k rail. you're not draining the rail

yeah my truck with stock lift pump and everything with smarty TNT7 and everything defualt i can hold 24k at WOT, it barley drops

I have an 04 auto and I ran a edge stacked with PPE and when i flogged it man it would scream but when I let off it would start popping real bad and keep going haha while popping so them stacks were head butting each other I know a hair off key just wanted to throw it in the mix...

I backed off the timing to #3 on sw9 and popping went away. No more issues to speak of.

Usually it is a timing issue. Turn it off completely and try it and see if it doesn't go away and then just add a level at a time until it pops and then you'll be at the sweet spot.

it's not rail drain, it's a timing thing... very common w/ 03/04 and TNT

on my early 04, I ran TNT9 with the TST on power level 4 and could still hold 20-21k rail. you're not draining the rail

Ok, fellas, I just got done contending this in another thread. :doh: Forrest, you are the first person I've heard that can actually answer the rail pressure question I had when the popping occurs. I don't get it, man.

Explain this please: If this is a timing issue, why then is it only appearing in select trucks? Further, I've run the same TNT software in my 03, with larger injectors (net increased timing), and a fuel system to support them, SW9, moved the timing everywhere and never a hiccup much less a pop. My TNT was the same TNT as you guys had problems with. My bigger sticks should have made me more prone to this than any stock setup.

Most who seem to be having this timing issue are on stock pumps, stock or small sticks.

Why timing?

All above aside, how is timing making a pop as opposed to a rattle? What do you surmise is going on in the cylinder to create this? I've seen engines running gobs of timing, none pop. All rattle.

Explain, please.

I'll agree with Forrest on it being a timing issue, rail drain only makes high egts and/or a lack of power. Rail drain could appear to cause popping but only if there is air being introduced into the fuel system. There are other timing variables to look at on these engines, cam to crank correlation has a certain acceptable range to fall within and still run without causing alarming performance issues on a stock engine. If the crank sensor is reading a half to a degree different from one engine to the next this is all it could take to cause popping. Look at a Duramax engine and how they are tuned with EFI-live, each one is slightly different, there are no two engine control systems exactly alike to the point that a canned tune will produce the exact same result each time.

Lee, I agree with most of what you said.

Let me go at this another way. When you hear this popping, where does it come from?

I am open to this theory, provided someone can explain it logically. If I am convinced I will apologize again to my popcorn eating friend above who took an ass reaming in the other thread.

It's always sounded internal to the engine when I heard it, maybe others are hearing a different noise.

Mine was audible from engine but was most noticed when listening outside of truck from exhaust pipe. It was a loud pop not a timing rattle. I had heard alot of timing rattle from our locomotive engine at work when they are cold but never a pop like this. All I know is I turned down the timing one step and no more pop.

Could it be a "loud pop" due to high cylinder pressures and engine load? I have a prv that's welded shut for testing purposes and when installed on a engine with this "loud pop" there was no change. I've also data logged RP with a scan tool, with RevoTNT and the RP setting on stock the popping was present. The only tuning change made to eliminate the pop was changing the timing from 2 to 4.

Last edited:
I could induce a "pop" free reving. Wot from idle. The rail would be at 10k

When I had the tst box it would pop on command. Got rid of that piece of crap.