Smarty S03 install issue

Highfinance97

Garofalo Enterprises
I have a 99 dodge Cummins that is having issues with installing a Smarty.

At times I can plug the smarty in, program the catcher and not have any issues. Other random times it will start downloading and then state an "error time out."

The truck is then locked and I have to disconnect the batteries for ten minutes and return the truck to stock. (Via a recovery file) Then the truck will start and run fine. I have figured out if you disconnect the batteries first for ten minutes then program a catcher, the smarty will go into the truck correctly.

The truck has a brand new ECM, batteries, all main grounds checked and cleaned. Also, the OBD data link is working correctly with communication. Has anyone ever experienced this? There are no other codes or any signs of what is causing this.

Only thing I can add is that the ABS module is disconnected.

On some of the 3rd gens we've had to wire an OBDII right into the ECM to avoid a time out error. Can't say I've ever seen it on a VP truck.

Did you try to p-pump it?

Seen that error more on VP trucks than any other.

Try hooking another running truck to it with jumper cables while programming

Pretty common on third gens as well needing to pull out the oem lift pump relay if you have a fass wired through oem plug. Mayne worth a shot on a vp...never tried it

I believe the reman ecm is the issue. I have seen this happen before.

Back