Smarty Touch

Ol Blue

I've been Beta testing the Smarty touch. Now that it's public knowledge, does anyone else have one? Where did you ultimately decide to mount it?

Though the Smarty Touch is a programmer and provides gauges, I'd still like to keep the old gauges on the A-Pillar. So, the display needs a different home. The furnished mount places it on the windshield which has worked fine, but my tastes prefer that it is semi-hidden from outside of the pickup.

Locating it on the steering column hides some of the factory gauges.

Mounting it below the dash gauges is too low for these old eyes.

Building it into the A-Pillar above the 3 gauges on the A-Pillar and keeping the sunvisor down behind it is the only "satisfying" option I can see.

If you have about a 6" display in your rig, where have you mounted yours?

Do you have any information for the public in regards to your beta testing?

Likes? Dislikes? Cool features?

I take Beta testing seriously so I have written documents to MADs that they probably wouldn't mind me sharing.

Where would I post them on the site... ???? This Smarty applies to all electronic generations 2nd up to 4th.

Likes? Many such as the same unit applies to all generations so if I change from a 2nd gen to a 4th gen, I don't have to buy new gauges or programmer.

Dislikes? A couple of bucket items that would be nice such as calculated instantaneous HP and Torque.

Cool Features? Many. I like this more than the Edge stuff.

But, where to mount it or any other display for that matter, that will look semi-factory.

I don't mind building it into something. The original Edge Drag (Comp) I built into the kick panel below the steering column, toward the ashtray where it curves back to the dash.I opened up the plastic, metal dash, building a mount that the Comp box would slide in and out of, and trimmed the opening in black to look like it belonged there. I just can't decide on this one yet.

two features I wish it had
1) Fuel pressure for our VP trucks
2) The ability to plug into my touch screen radio

How's the fueling from the touch on a VP truck? Power seem higher than that of an edge.

Which one? The EZ or the fueling box?

Comparing a programmer to a fueling box is not quite correct where the fueling box extends the parameters such as the fueling solenoid pulse where as the EZ and programmers stay within the parameter's limits. For the most fueling, I use both a Smarty and a non-timing fueling box.

Comparing similar products the EZ and the Smarty, The Smarty seems stronger to me plus it's timing is more dynamic. The ratings remain the same, but the software seems more refined or smoother and the throttle seems more linear than it used to be with most of the throttle difference no longer biased to the first part with that soft (less) acceleration feeling at the top of the pedal.

Some of this may be due to the convenience of having the programmer always plugged in and available on the dash. I play with the setting more and may have "found" the sweet spot for Ol Blue. Officially, the word is that the software is the same as in the handheld programmer.

two features I wish it had
1) Fuel pressure for our VP trucks
2) The ability to plug into my touch screen radio

One of the PIDs in the later years is fuel rail pressure, but no such thing in our ECMs.

Is the touch screen for your radio in the dash at the radio or do you have a remotely mounted screen someplace?

"I invent light-emitting resistors and smoke-emitting diodes."
ROFLMAO!

Are those the infamous short duration light emitting resistors? Why did you ever create the smoke-emitting diodes. Those SUCK! Bad idea there.

The PID quantity does seem to increase as the newer models.

"I invent light-emitting resistors and smoke-emitting diodes."
ROFLMAO!

Are those the infamous short duration light emitting resistors? Why did you ever create the smoke-emitting diodes. Those SUCK! Bad idea there.

The PID quantity does seem to increase as the newer models.

Yup. If someone can build it....I can smoke it. :hehe:

The PID info is great on the new trucks....it is just such bull crap that the manufacturers bury that info so deep in the CAN info that you have to pay $5000 or more to get access to which data bytes in which position go to what. It is crazy.

When the website says "98.5 - Present".....does that mean through 2013? Or 2014? Or 2015 models?

"the smarty touch is one part number for 98.5 - 2012 and 2013 is coming up soon."

This was the reply on NWBombers board.

Guess I had not thought of the advantage of being able to take the tuner with you as you move to newer generations of trucks. For a 2nd gen the price just doesn't seem to make sense, but then again you're not out anything when you buy that new ride. Really wish they would revisit the timing and fueling maps on the 2nd gens though.

Having unlimited adjustability like UDC or EFI Live would be great, but setting the Smarty on the highest level and then adjusting the parameters like timing and duration from there has been sufficient for me.

Do you have a custom mounted display somewhere in your rig?

I have a question for you. On the 98-02 trucks like yours and mine the programmer does the exact same thing as the old Smarty correct? Nothing new right?

The Smarty Touch is both a programmer and gauges (PIDs available from the ECM) in a touch screen.

The programming part of the Smarty Touch does the same thing as the S03 REVO with adjustable parameters for each CaTCHer level though I think the software might have been tweaked a little. That's purely butt dyno and ear subjective though.

The Touch also displays all of the ECM PIDs available such as injector pump fuel temperature, ECM voltage, APPS voltage, (input and output), IAT, Coolant Temp, WIF etc. Many of them are also displayable as % such as %APPS from 0 to 100% etc.

The PIDs available for our generation is at
http://madselectronics.com/pids1998.html

The introduction information is at
http://madselectronics.com/SmartyTouch.html

Yes I would like the ability to use the USB port on my touch screen radio to use as the interface. and a second port with fuel pressure is as important to me as EGT readings.
With the radio interface, it could add audible alerts to dangerous guage readings.
I feel it falls a little short of meeting a VP drivers needs for such a hefty price tag.