Smarty UDC Initial Impressions

I'm on my 30th tune. It runs good but hazes and is really visible at night when traffic is behind me. I don't really see it in the day light. It also is has a little more smoke than I would like at takeoff and when you flog it to pass someone.
My timing map and rail map have been worked. I have not messed with duration. So to clean up haze on acceleration do I need to increase timing or what? Looking for a few pointers

I'm on my 30th tune. It runs good but hazes and is really visible at night when traffic is behind me. I don't really see it in the day light. It also is has a little more smoke than I would like at takeoff and when you flog it to pass someone.
My timing map and rail map have been worked. I have not messed with duration. So to clean up haze on acceleration do I need to increase timing or what? Looking for a few pointers

Decrease timing to clean up the haze and smokey areas.

Posted Using a NEXUS 7 - 2005 - HE351/A5K - ARP - Arson lll - 70HP Nozzles - Smarty UDC Custom Tuned

Last edited:
High Idle feature on the early trucks is controlled by the IAT sensor and outside ambient air temp sensor.If you didn't have it before then you never had a updated tuner on it or had Ma Mopar update your ECM.

On most trucks when you place the truck in gear and/or step on the brake the high idle feature will disengage.It will however restart when you put the truck in park if the ECM feels the truck is not at proper operating temp.

Well applying the brake, putting it in gear doesn't release it. I don't know what the IAT was but the coolant temp was 194 when it was doing it. I will run it again thus time I will monitor the IAT.
Thanks

The ECM enabled fast idle shouldn't be active at 194°, so I think it's something else.

I know if my truck is between 205 and 210 or higher, it will fast idle to cool down

What year is your truck?
I left it run for about 5 minutes to see if it would kick down but it didn't but I will look into this in more detail.
Thanks
Jimmy

Did you modify the lower end of the duration table at all?

AH64ID I did some driving today and paid close attention to what was going on. I believe you all are going to think I am crazy when I explain this.

First it will stay in high idle until AIT reaches 82 F, then it kicks down, then the odd part starts, as I drive after the auto shifts out of 1st it kicks high idle in and stays at 1100 RPM, when I come to a stop, but not until it shifts completely down into 1st, on its own, will it then kick down to about 700 RPM's no matter how hot it is from this point on and no matter how many times I turn it on or off this continues to happen. I had it not kick down on me if I come to a stop too abruptly and it does not shift down, I tried shifting it down manually but it did not work. So I started to drive and then came to a normal stop and as it shifted into 1st gear by itself it then kicked down from 1100 RPM to 700 RPM. I did this many times all day today as I couldn't believe it.

I don't know what to say, but after I got use to it, it was okay.:bang

I used Estrada_SSR_V25_Sample with some smoothing of the spikes in rail pressure, reduced the torque management to peak at 50%, and I used the timing AH64ID Sr sample tune and it seems to run great without towing. No rattle, and it gets 24.1 MPG hand calculated average city highway, more highway than city about 65%/35%.

It does push some black smoke when WOT and even at 3/4, so my question to you is.

Does it matter about the black smoke if the MPG is good?.
I know nothing about how this diesel tuning works other than what I have read since I joined Comp Diesel. AH64ID's postings have been extremely informative, thank you for that.

EGT stays good in the 500-700 range cruising, so far climbing a hill it hit 1340 at 25% load, but its an 03 so after doing the 68% thing it was about 37% actual load.

I've attached a sample file.
:tree:

Let me know what you all think.

Thanks

Attachments

From what I can tell load is accurate up thru 68% then it just stops reading.

The timing in my file is more for 04.5+, so you may want to compare my sample timing and 03-04 sample timing from MADS.

You can adjust the smoke out with timing, and 1340° is crazy hot for 25% load!

From what I can tell load is accurate up thru 68% then it just stops reading.

The timing in my file is more for 04.5+, so you may want to compare my sample timing and 03-04 sample timing from MADS.

You can adjust the smoke out with timing, and 1340° is crazy hot for 25% load!

Will changing timing reduce the heat?

Okay, I will change timing to match smarty sample 30, which is crazy different then what I have it now, but is very comparable to stock, & see what happens.
But I will say that 24.1 MPG is going to be tough to give up!!

Thanks

Just change the regions where you are experiencing issues. You do not have to copy the entire map.

Just change the regions where you are experiencing issues. You do not have to copy the entire map.

Ok I get it, so I will change timing in the 37% load and up from 1600RPM's to 3500 RPM's to match sample 20 and see what happens.

Thanks

If you are still having trouble with your idle speed you need to lower your torque management numbers, I loaded your program in my truck and I had the same problem with fast idle. I lowered the initial numbers in torque management and the fast idle problem went away. In the 0 to 12.5% range lower it down to about four or five, in the 12 1/2 to 25% range put it about 10 to 12. My truck's not stock, so the numbers can be different for you. If you look at John's torque management that he uses on the smarty, Junior, it will give you a good example.

JimmyKOA - What mod's on your truck if any?
Did you get any timing rattle in the 1600-1800 cruising? Where the timing is 6-8 deg.

JimmyKOA - What mod's on your truck if any?
Did you get any timing rattle in the 1600-1800 cruising? Where the timing is 6-8 deg.

Zero mods and zero rattle. Smooth as silk, getting into hills boost would hit about 10-12 and the EGT hit 1340 @ 37% load. But for day to day for me I'll take the 24.1 MPG and watch EGT if I have to.

Back