Smoky start up?

When i start the truck, it runs really rough, as if its running on 5 cylinders and its blowing smoke for a good while till it kind of warms up.. then once it hits normal temp on the gauge, i slowly take off and its slightly cutting out and blowing smoke, till it really warms up.. could this be an injector?? Or could it have something to do with the hi pressure pump?? i just put a box on it, and after awhile it just kills the engine and have to crank twice or 3 times and it finally starts, so im thinking thats just symptons of the pump going out so i removed the box, hoping it will last just a little longer.. any ideas??

When i start the truck, it runs really rough, as if its running on 5 cylinders and its blowing smoke for a good while till it kind of warms up.. then once it hits normal temp on the gauge, i slowly take off and its slightly cutting out and blowing smoke, till it really warms up.. could this be an injector?? Or could it have something to do with the hi pressure pump?? i just put a box on it, and after awhile it just kills the engine and have to crank twice or 3 times and it finally starts, so im thinking thats just symptons of the pump going out so i removed the box, hoping it will last just a little longer.. any ideas??

Wouldn't happen to look and sound like this would it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lZw6ABhjgQ

Yeah that would be it.. But i gotta crank it 2 or 3 times when its cold but it starts like that even when its 55 deg out there.

mine is like that not as bad and when you drive it it cuts out so bad til the temp gauge is in the middle not sure what it is though

What oil do you run in it? And what oil have you always run in it?

What oil do you run in it? And what oil have you always run in it?

Mine is always done at the dealership, so whatever they use. It has gotten slightly better now that I pulled the EGR valve and cleaned it Doug. Did you see the pictures of that thing and my intake? lol

Dealer is using 15w-40 most of the time. See if they will use their 5w-40 the next time they change it.

Dealer is using 15w-40 most of the time. See if they will use their 5w-40 the next time they change it.

Well I'm gonna get some of the Valvoline Synthetic for my next change. I'm just waiting until after I get to a dealer/get it fixed.

My local Autozone/Advanced only carries the 15w-40 non-synthetic.

Well I'm gonna get some of the Valvoline Synthetic for my next change. I'm just waiting until after I get to a dealer/get it fixed.

My local Autozone/Advanced only carries the 15w-40 non-synthetic.

You might get away with running a few quarts of mercon through it and see if it does a little internal cleaning. Diesel fuel has been done before, but I just don't want to risk the fuel dilution/possible thrust and or shaft bushing failure in the turbo. Idl'ing the engine is one thing. But I was told a few days ago about some guys running 100miles with fuel in the oil to clean them up.

You might get away with running a few quarts of mercon through it and see if it does a little internal cleaning. Diesel fuel has been done before, but I just don't want to risk the fuel dilution/possible thrust and or shaft bushing failure in the turbo. Idl'ing the engine is one thing. But I was told a few days ago about some guys running 100miles with fuel in the oil to clean them up.

I have been running some injector cleaner through it at every other fill up for the past, probably 20 fill ups.

Matt said it looks/sounds like the injectors drank some water at one point in time. About two years ago I had the problem with the WIF light coming on. Got a reflash and then dropped 3 injectors. The 5 that I am getting codes on now are the ones that are still original. So maybe they are just now going south?

Injector cleaner in the fuel. Im talking about cleaning the oil side of things. The WIF light was from corroded sensors and the light comming on going around turns.

Injector cleaner in the fuel. Im talking about cleaning the oil side of things. The WIF light was from corroded sensors and the light comming on going around turns.

Ahh, I gotcha. I miss understood what you said.

That's exactly what it was doing Doug. Every hard left or right turn I made it would chime and come on. Dealer did some kind of reflash and it went away.

Im running delo 15w40 and added some lucas stabilizer to it.. just got the truck a few months back and dont know what they did to it, but according to the oasis the beat the hell out of it.. thanks for the oasis psd!

Back