So...about that 62/70 or 62/80...

Doug u should buy frankies 190's and his stock turbo. In your cool lookin cut up truck. It would haul. Do you have an idea of what it might wieght when your done. Sorry ivan off topic.

I have no clue what it will weigh. But it should be a little bit lighter.

Well- i'm currently RUNNING a 62/80 turbo in my 06. Here's what I can tell you.

Turbo makes 45 psi at WOT on it's own with the wastegate cranked down. Street manors aren't too bad for it's size. Carries a bit more lag than my stock 06, but once the boost hits, it's totally worth it haha
I don't tow with my truck, so I don't have any information for ya there.
I'm running Elite 225 injectors that are a bit oversized and the EGTs are high because of that, but at highway speed I maintain 750-900* pretty steadily when going 70-80mph. Closer to 800 most of the time, depends on the grade and driving style though. Acceleration will give me 1000*+, but as I said, it's because of the quarter sticks in my motor.
The turbo is a great piece and I love it for my race/street application I'm running right now. Personally, and this is me, I'd pick up the 62/70 for towing. It has a better spool time from what I've heard, and it'll run a bit cooler as well. Also, running 190cc injectors would be a great pairing of injector to turbo set up.
I'll possibly be hitting a dyno on saturday, so I'll know what this set up does with and without spray.

hope this helps out some

im currently running the exact same set up but my injectors are from II.
everything he said i 100% agree with. towing is way out of the question with this set up. i havent touched my waste gate yet and i make about 30-35 lbs of boost at WOT.

i dont have any videos either yet.

Hmmmm plasma cutter..... I need one of those like I need an AN/PEQ-2A for home defense.... was it an ESAB, Termal Arc/Thermal Dynamics, Miller, Hobart, Lincoln..etc etc etc

The old cutmaster 52.. fine machine. My buddy has an esab and thermal arc mig. I'm bank rollin cash for a Miller 200DX dynasty... oh yeah GTAW son!

Well, have you ever looked past this forum, or any other?
Elite has videos of their single turbos, and so does Black Widow Diesel. (BWD also has charts with EGT's/per rpm on them as well.)

Hey shawn, if you can't add any usefull information, get out of here. (Isn't that what you tell people??..)

Not everyone can try every possible combination out there, I'm trying to help out others by doing as much of the "Testing" for them as I can...with Brian's help.

Like I mentioned earlier...if someone wants to send me a 62/70 or a 62/80, I will be more than happy to install it, test it, race it, tow it...whatever it takes to give honest feedback on it.

Not everyone has an extra $1000.00 laying around to spend when someone like you says: "Try this..." every couple of weeks.:bang

And I don't think too many people would be to happy with you if they bought a turbo based on your feedback, and it didn't work for them, for what they wanted it for. (Pretty exspensive mistake...)

Again, if you don't have anything usefull to add to this thread....leave it alone. I am looking for video feedback...:thankyou2:

being everyones test truck isnt always a great idea :bang

being everyones test truck isnt always a great idea :bang

No...it's not, but it sure would be nice if there was video of them in action.

I mean really...how hard is it to add a pressure gauge for drive pressure?
Everyone who runs a tuner should have an EGT gauge already.
Am I the only guy with a heavy trailer, that wants to drag race, and clean-up on the streets?

I would rather see someone do the tests, give honest feedback, and save the rest of the diesel world from possibly making a mistake in their turbo/injector sizing.

I honestly thought that if guys are running 190's with a stock turbo...I needed bigger injectors for the turbo I had coming.
Then I made the error that 225's arent that much bigger than 200's.:hehe:
Then I tried to make a street/strip turbo pull a heavy trailer for 6 hours...

I said I was going to test this turbo configuration for Brian, and I'm pretty sure I did...only thing I didn't do was spray it...(Not an option for me)

So, I gave feedback, videos, and timeslips for a street/strip turbo...next?LOL

i honestly think 190s and a correctly matched single is as big as you can go on a daily driver and towing safely, ive had good results towing with my 190s and 61mm, and thats with 6" lift 37s and 4.56 gears

if you want to run bigger injectors and tow then i think youd have to go with compounds

if you want to run bigger injectors and tow then i think youd have to go with compounds

I think that you will drop your egt's greatly when towing once you get your 190's. Also There will still be enough fuel there to spool the turbo, and be fast.

ya i have a little extra fuel with the 61mm on the performance tune, i think the 190s and 66mm would be a breat combo tuned right and still be able to to tow, your 225s woulda workd great with towing compounds

ya i have a little extra fuel with the 61mm on the performance tune, i think the 190s and 66mm would be a breat combo tuned right and still be able to to tow, your 225s woulda workd great with towing compounds

I agree 100%. Just sell the TN and do the twins Ivan, Then you will have your street , sled, track, towing truck. And not to mention you'll be the man:bow:

i honestly think 190s and a correctly matched single is as big as you can go on a daily driver and towing safely, ive had good results towing with my 190s and 61mm, and thats with 6" lift 37s and 4.56 gears

I think just the 4:56 gears would help with the boost issue while towing. I mean, your rpm at 65 mph with smaller 33" tires would be close to 2200 rpm, wouldn't it?
See thats the problem. At cruising rpm, 1800-2000, there isn't alot of boost. (About 5 psi) Even if you could get the revs up 2-300 more, it would make a big difference...but like I said, for me to get the rpm's up to 2200-2500...I'm going way too fast to pull safely...:hehe:

None of this is an issue on the street thou...you just roll into it, and then punch it at 2500...:ft:

go to 4.10 gears, i honestly believe 3.73s arent that great for towing no matter what setup you have, stock or modified, im right at 2000ish at 65mph, boost is around 8psi and egt is 900ish towiing, has never gone higher that 1400 and that was when i was racing a cummins and it was a hot hot summer day. o and i still have stock ic.

I think just the 4:56 gears would help with the boost issue while towing. I mean, your rpm at 65 mph with smaller 33" tires would be close to 2200 rpm, wouldn't it?
See thats the problem. At cruising rpm, 1800-2000, there isn't alot of boost. (About 5 psi) Even if you could get the revs up 2-300 more, it would make a big difference...but like I said, for me to get the rpm's up to 2200-2500...I'm going way too fast to pull safely...:hehe:

None of this is an issue on the street thou...you just roll into it, and then punch it at 2500...:ft:

Your fuel milage will be about 8 mpg w/ those gears and towing though. It would deffinetly help the boost issue though. I have very little boost @ 60 mph also. I pulled my 4000 lb boat last week on tow file and was running about 1100 egt's @ 60 mph w/little boost. Tow haul off. I had Eric write a new tow file to try to get the boost up and the temps down but havn't got to try it yet.

Back