SO pump wont work on 6 speed?

amaupin04

roxanne04
hello i recently bought a Standard Output VP for my pickup becasue the High Output wasnt going to support my future plans for my truck. I got the pump in today and was looking at the VIN numbers just to check and make sure it was an SO before i put it on. Ive heard TONS of people putting SO pumps on 6 speeds becasue they supposedly help/support more HP. I called a certain manufacturer and was told my ECM wouldnt read an SO pump and if it did it would run like sh*t and i would lose tons of power? ive talked to multiple guys about doing the swap and never have any of them said it wont work. are the people telling me this wrong or the guys that succesfully did the swap get lucky? just needing some answers before i dig in to this and it not even work thanks for any suggestions or comments

they told me that my ECM wouldnt read it and i would be very disappointed so i told them look at a lot of the high horsepower trucks that arent running a mosnter pump or Hotrod their all SOs? I am pretty sure it will work its just the fact that they said that it concerned me

That's what I have gathered on here and just from general knowledge of the veterans but i guess the guy from thoroughbred diesel was confused but thank you

Typically they will not return an HO core for an SO. That's the only time its an issue is with the core.

Well I bought it from a guy on the forum so core isnt a problem as long as it will work thats all I'm concerned about lol

I have done it to three trucks without issue, all were running an edge comp and ran as good or better with the SO pump.

Lavon

HO will NOT work on SO but SO works on SO and HO engines.

Wrong. I ran an HO on my SO for nearly 20,000 miles before I p-pumped. It had more timing rattle and more bottom end than my SO pump but not the top end of the SO. My buddy with the HO wanted my SO pump so we swapped them out.

LAMILLER- I have come to the conclusion that the HO pump is maxxed out and cannot hold any or much more power. Should I be expecting a power increase just changing over?

Bigbldodge- I've always heard that the ECM would not pick up the computer in the pump so it wouldn't work but it looks like you did something right. Did you look at the pump VIN to make sure it was a "standard output"? I think their a 15x pump

It was the factory pump from an HO truck that was bought new by my buddy so I'm sure it was an HO truck. All I did was plug it in and start the truck and it worked.

And the HO pump has more timing built in than an SO pump does. That's why they have a better bottom end than a stock SO. They also don't gain as much from a timing box such as an edge like an SO does. That's one thing I noticed putting that HO on. The bottom end was noticeably stronger than the SO.

Last edited:
Wrong. I ran an HO on my SO for nearly 20,000 miles before I p-pumped. It had more timing rattle and more bottom end than my SO pump but not the top end of the SO. My buddy with the HO wanted my SO pump so we swapped them out.

Very true, I had an HO on my 2000 Auto for the longest time. Had a lot more bottom then what the SO has, actually almost enough to miss it.

Thanks for the input guys. Got her on the truck just trying to get it started. I took like lines off the head completely so I'm sure there is a ton of air in there, thats why it's not firing

I did and it's getting fuel at the head but not much pressure...were talking like whatever the airdog is pushing up to the pump. The pump i'snt doing anything I don't think. I got p1688, p0177 so I'm pretty sure pump is toast.

From Blue Chips Site, ive used this method to test possible bad pumps:

Get two wires long enough to reach from the battery to the VP44. Install an INSULATED ¼ inch female spade connector onto one end of each wire. Connect one INSULATED connector to pin 7 on the pump, which is the pin on the BOTTOM row of the socket on the Injection Pump, closest to the engine, to preferably fused (10 amp is fine) positive battery power in the PDC (Fuse box under the hood), or directly to the positive battery terminal if you like to take risks!

Connect the other INSULATED connector to the pin directly above the previous connection, the top row of pins, the one closest to the engine, and attach the other end to battery ground.

Engine should start and idle if pump is good, This takes all electronics other than the computer on the top the pump out of the picture

Go with an SO I changed mine over to an standard output it picked up a ton on the top end but lost a lot down low but with the smarty you can't even tell