So whats new with the 6.0??? Thinking about a new truck

chainfeed

I currently drive a 97 7.3 ford... I'd like to get a 3rd gen cummins but I really dont care for the dodge, cheezy interior, thin sheet metal.. (my dad has a new dakota)... I like the 05 and up superduty's but I've always been a major 6.0 hater but from reading on here it sounds like people are starting to like them alot more. What new, what should I look out for and what would you pick?

Depends on what you wish to do with your truck. Do you actually need a truck to do "truck" related things? If so your going to be better off with a Ford as it would be the only "real" truck of them all. IT takes kindly to tunning and does alrigth in the fuel economy department. If you want a Higher horsepower beast(say north of 500) then your going to need to get a GM/Dodge.. unless your looking to break the bank. The road varies alot from there but in terms of straight out of the gates you cant really beat a Ford. The 5R110 will hold way more HP in stock form than any of them. and for 400 bucks or whatever it costs to get a custom SCT you can lay down 400+ HP with simply that.

Thanks, I was leaning toward an 06 or 07 dodge but somehow I really am considering a 6.0. My 97 has some small injectors and whatnot so probably somewhere around 300whp, so a 6oh would be a step up powerwise.

Well the dodges are ok, but here is my deal. First off you cant get a dodge in the crew cab config.. its either a mega or there version of extented. I actually like doges extended cab config, since its fairly big. The only reason why I would consider a dodge would be because of the powerplant. Unless your looking to make good "cheap" horsepower or just really like the dodge setup then there isnt anyreal appeal... atleast for me. The other issue is that with tunning for ford or GM you can have(or who ever does your tunning) complete control over the engine(EFI live or SCT). Dodge does not have a standalone ECM thats AFFORADABLE. Really Each truck has is own downfalls and high lights. I can surly say that 500 in a Powerstroke and 500 in a Cummins is completly different, even though they make the same power.

if youve owned a ford I doubt youll be happy with a dodge, fords are the best truck built, the diesels havent been the greatest but I was in the same deal and bought a dodge and hatted it every second I owned it, theres only one good thing about a dodge and even its overrated. like stated above there cabs are little, even the ugly megacab, there cheap built trucks, they dont weigh much so the wind blows them around. every one I know has put balljoints on there dodge at 40k, and if you look to buy one everyone is so proud of them you can buy a new one almost the same as a used one, on the other hand so many people are so scared of the 6.0s especally the 03-04 that you can buy a nice truck for a sweet deal, I had a stock late build 04 that ran great, I loved driveing it, the tranny in those trucks rock, you dont even really know when its shifting its so smooth, do however research before buying a 6.0. a oasis request, is it under warranty, check it out or take it to a shop to check for egr-headgasket problems.
Ive also been hearing awesome things about the 6.4... 500hp on a tuner!
and if that dosent work buy a ford and drop a cummins in it, trust me you will regret buying a dodge.

If you like your 97' Why not swap in a Cummins? Way less money and one bad ride?

If you like your 97' Why not swap in a Cummins? Way less money and one bad ride?

Thats what I did, I wanted to try out a cummins powerplant but was not going to buy a dodge. Nothing against you dodge guys but I dont feel dodge makes a truck comparable to the ford.

I've been drivin my 97 since 02'.... I'd like to get something more comfortable with 4 doors. Rust is starting to creep up on my truck too and its soon gonna be either get something newer or start doing some restoration to the 97.

if you check around I would bet you could probally sell your truck for 7-9k and pick up a early 6.0 for low 10s and have a nice updated truck with out spending 20-30k, I have no idea what your truck is like but there are guys out there that simply like the older trucks and dont want to spend a bunch of money, if it has some mods it could be worth more. what ever you do shop aroud and do your homework before you buy something your not going to like, JMHO

The best advice I can give is get a 6.0 but be a smart shopper. Find one that is either already modded or still has a warrenty. The damn egr cooler on those trucks is a KILLER. Make sure you get an oasis on any 6.0 you consider and make sure the engine hasn't been hydro locked. The dealer will just pull the glow plugs and pump out the cylinders and slap a new egr cooler on and let it rock. I really don't like the idea of having a hydro locked motor that who knows what got hurt in. Also it is nice to see that the oil cooler has been replaced on the oasis. That damn thing is expensive and usually the second one never has a problem, just the first one gets clogged. EGR delete, new oil cooler, coolant filter and any 6.0 05 and later should be reliable. Most 03-04 had head gasket failures that were dealer repaired, look on the oasis, don't buy an 03-04 that hasn't had head gaskets done unless the deal is good enough you can swing the job out of your pocket. Studs don't seem to be necessary but if you are going to use a tuner studs will make all the difference on a 6.0. I think with studs, new oil cooler, full egr delete and a healthy history a 6.0, even at 400 horse, should be every bit as reliable as a 7.3. And the wrapper you get with the Ford is MUCH better, hands down, no TRUCK is better than the Ford, but a cummins 5.9 is a reliable engine. The 6.7 cummins seems to need a bunch to be reliable, DPF problems, EGR problems and turbo problems are plauging the 6.7.

if your not gonna mod the truck get a 6.0 i had a 04 and a 05 both were great a few injectors and a egr replaced on the 04 no issues with th 05.but i wanted too mod so i wasn't gonna spend 4k for studs and still worry. so i got a 06 quad cab dodge very reliable fuel mileage is unbelievable on the cummins but the trucks are def not as tough built as a ford.i actually trade my 06 for a 01 dodge cause i wanted a 500 plus hp truck for a reasonable price.

Ive never been a big ford fan, but their trucks do seem to be built well. I also really like the torqshift transmission, but I just couldnt bring myself to buy one with a 6.0 in it. I know some guys have great luck with them but Ive just seen and heard too many bad things out of them. Plus I really hate the lack of power in the lower RPMs. I think I would rather have a 7.3 or the new 6.4s seem to be doing well, except for the fuel economy. Not bashing fords, but just my $.02

Knowing what I know now about the 6.0L...which ain't very much...there ain't a snowball's chance in hell that I would EVER buy a used truck with a 6.0L in it.
If trading one in, you are giving it away, because the dealership's don't even want them...throw some mods on it...now it's really worth nothing, cuz no one wants to work on it...
Nice trucks, crappy engine...just buy one with a blown engine...then transplant a cummins into it.

That's just me though.....

Back