someone help me fix my headlights..........

ol'smoky

$$can't take it with ya$$
Ok.... before I start I just wana say, I have used the "search" feature of this site and Google as well. I cant find anyone with my exact problem. Actually 90% of others have the exact opposite problem (no low beams) truck is a 95 Dodge 2500 NON-sport. Ever since i bought the truck the high beams havent worked. I havent really looked into it yet. I did check to make sure the headlights were chassis grounded and they all checked out ok, and also replaced bulbs with new ones. Is this a common problem? Are there seperate fuses to both high and low beams? Is there a relay bad? I just like to get an idea before i waste time I dont really have searching for a problem, if its something that you guys might can help me with. Thanks in advance! :nail:

Last edited:
What have you done to troubleshoot?
Do the low beams go out when you pull the stalk switch?

Reaper of Threads

Just replaced bulbs and checked headlight grounds... yes low beams go out and "high beam indicator" comes on... so when I turn high beams on i still have park lights, dash lights, etc,.. just no headlights at all

You replace the headlamps with the same number bulb or have the parts guy look them up for you?

You replace the headlamps with the same number bulb or have the parts guy look them up for you?

yes they are the correct bulbs... they didnt work when i got it. replaced bulbs and checked grounds and still no worky

There is a known problem with the headlight switches melting at the plug in, other than that, there is a relay in the under hood fuse box. Swap it with a known good one. Usually the horn relay is the same.

There is a known problem with the headlight switches melting at the plug in, other than that, there is a relay in the under hood fuse box. Swap it with a known good one. Usually the horn relay is the same.

ok thanks! i will look into that tomorrow!

I would start testing at the high/low switch. or throw it the part at it if you dont want to test it.

I hit some bumps one day and the. My high beams don't work I have changed the switch, relays, and checked the bulbs my high beams will come on but then will blow the 40 amp fuse and the indicator for the highs big on goes out

Not meaning to hi jack the thread but I can't figure mine out either

I hit some bumps one day and the. My high beams don't work I have changed the switch, relays, and checked the bulbs my high beams will come on but then will blow the 40 amp fuse and the indicator for the highs big on goes out

Not meaning to hi jack the thread but I can't figure mine out either

All the switches I have changed on 2nd gens required the connector to be replaced also.

Got my problem fixed guys... the relay was no good. thanks for all the help

While driving tonight my headlights would go off for a second or two then come back on. Didn't matter if they were on high or low. Started doing it the first time after driving with them on for @ 30 minutes, then after sitting for @ 3 hours they started it again after @ 30 minutes of driving. I looked and I don't see a headlight relay in my underhood panel. I guess I'll check the headlight switch tomorrow.

There is a circuit breaker that trips with an excessive amp draw. Check for corrosion at your connectors, and definitely check the connector at the back of the headlight switch also. The circuit breaker automatically resets . So with rythmic behavior, I'd bet on that being the issue. Also check the grounds to the headlight as they can cause excessive amp draw also.

Here is my plug when my lights were blinking.

IMAG0158.jpg

thats the one. never tap trailer lights off the stock harness, always use a relay and line from battery. if you smell burning at night, its your headlight switch.

HID headlights will solve this issue, much less current through the switch.

There is a circuit breaker that trips with an excessive amp draw.

Sorry, no headlight circuit breaker on my truck.

Got my problem fixed guys... the relay was no good. thanks for all the help

I found the relay in the PDC. Dodge has it labelled "Security". What's up with that? Anyway, swapped it with the horn relay and thought that fixed it till tonight after driving @ 40 minutes with the headlights on and they dropped out again.

I removed the switch. It and the connector look great but it did feel a bit "mushy" when pulling and pushing the knob. Replaced the switch, relay, and the fuse. Let it idle with the headlights on for 45 minutes then drove it for 30 minutes with no drop-outs. I suspect it was the switch. I'll see if I can open it up at work tomorrow and see what it looks like inside.