Something's Wrong!

dodgeram2500

My truck has been running great for a while now. I put 100 horse injectors in it about 3 months ago, and it put down 504.9hp/1084tq last weekend. tonight i went to WOT for about 3 secconds and had to let out pretty fast. Now the truck sounds like its got a real quiet ping under the hood and it is idling real funny. Almost sounds like its rattling way more than it was before. The truck still revs up good and sounds normal under any sort of acceleration, but anytime im off the throttle its rattling bretty bad. The truck's got a pretty good lope, more than usual. And when i put it in 1st gear and let the clutch out slow it feels like is wants to die. sorry for the long post, any help on what to look at, or for is appreciated. thanks

Try getting someone with a starscan, or something close to do an injector kill test. If your getting some lope at idle, you should be able to narrow it down to one injector this way. Were the injectors full body or just tips?

If you don't find anything, it may be time to look at the VP. This is just were I would start.

J.D.

How long have you had the HRVP? I had one on my old truck, and I never had the ping, but it would become a little more lopey every once in a while then go away.

i have a scanner and have done the kill test. if i kill one it just makes the truck run really bad. how much timing is too much? how do i retard the timing a little? i have had the pump for 2 years this month. always had a pretty good lope, but now its really bad. sounds like a radical cam'd gasser! the normal lope my truck has never goes away. right from a cold start up it lopes. so i just went out and drove the truck and its running like normal! WTF! lopes, but no more funny noises? its been running bad for 2 days now and all the sudden it is better?

If you went WOT and then let out quickly, it is possible that you sucked some air into the lines.

It is REALLY hard to get the air out without popping the lines off the head.

It sounds like you may have sucked some air, and it took a little time to push the air out of the lines..

What is REALLY fun is when you suck so much air it kills the engine.. and you are stuck on the side of the road bleeding lines to get the truck to fire again. Especially if you can do it in nice dress slacks and a good shirt and tie. Good times indeed.

If you notice it doing it again, you may want to try bleeding the lines.

after it happened i drove the truck for 5 miles or so, then tried to bleed the lines. nothing helped. i let the truck sit for a day, fired it up, and it ran great? i've had it die before when this happens, but after i bleed the lines the truck runs fine.... must be angry gremlins

You got air in there somewhere... It happens sometimes. Oh the pleasures of a VP truck.

Back