Sorry I was so late

gstanfield

Are we there yet?
Well, my name is George and I've been wanting a cummins since the first time I heard one. I finally got one today. I traded my V10 superduty even for a 97 12V automatic dodge. I wanted the manual, but havn't found one and the deal was too sweet to pass up. I know the tranny has it's bad points (ok, it has a reputations of sucking around here) but I have faith that it'll treat me right. My primary goals for the truck are the following.

Do mods to increase life, milage (primary concern) and lastly power. I want to increase the efficiency of the engine so I can make more power and get better milage at the same time, but when the decision somes down to power or milage, milage wins every time as I travel a lot.

given a $1,000 initial budget, where would you start on modifying this truck? I've been told to get a commander for the tranny, but I'm all ears at this point. I am a very competent mechanic on bikes and gas engines, but have very little experience with diesel.

thanks ahead of time for any and all help, I'll be posting here a bit. I was steered here by my good friend partsguy662, but don't hate me for that ;)

Thanks,
George

First off welcome to the site

gstanfield said:
Do mods to increase life, mileage (primary concern) and lastly power. I want to increase the efficiency of the engine so I can make more power and get better mileage at the same time, but when the decision somes down to power or mileage, mileage wins every time as I travel a lot.

Mods Don't necessarily increase life of the engine ...but the happy factor is pegged when you add Mods to the truck.. as far as fuel millage?? You will have to get one of the Dodge guys to give there opinion on that.

gstanfield said:
given a $1,000 initial budget, where would you start on modifying this truck? I've been told to get a commander for the tranny, but I'm all ears at this point. I am a very competent mechanic on bikes and gas engines, but have very little experience with diesel.

We have several vendors on the board here that will be more than happy to help steer you in the correct direction to get you truck where you want it.

gstanfield said:
thanks ahead of time for any and all help, I'll be posting here a bit. I was steered here by my good friend partsguy662, but don't hate me for that ;)

Thanks,
George

Scott sent you here?? :badidea: LOL

:welcome:

Welcome to the site!:welcome:

I would suggest for your thousand- to spend it on a free flowing 4 " exhaust, you will drop a few degrees in egt's and the turbo will spool up easier with it too. Plus they sound better!LOL

Next I would put in a intake filtration kit like a bhaf, or AFE ect.

Then I would concentrate the rest into the aux.gauges that you will need to better monitor whats going on.

For your rig: Fuel Psi, Trans Fluid Temp, Boost and EGT Pyrometer.
:1tooth:

There are also mods that you can do yourself for free, just time, to that P-Pump, that will give you a little something to grin about, and a little mileage to boot! What more could you ask for mileage and power= free?

Also you can remove the turbo silencer ring- good for roughly 5-7 ponies, and you will hear that turbo better when its singin........

Last edited:
And if you want some amusement, ask george about his V10 Ford that he just traded...He absolutely LOVED that truck....:ugh: LOL

#10 cam plate, exhaust, bhaf, gauges, a shift kit, and a light right foot will get you some nice mpgs. Remove that turbos silencer ring and let that turbo sing!

Dom

Thanks for the suggestions so far, as soon as I get time I will start playing with the truck. The free mods sound right up my alley, plus it will help me get familiar with the sparkplug-less engine that I'm really starting to love.

Scott, as to that V-10 I'd rather get certain serious parts of my anatomy slammed in the door of my Dodge than to own another V-10 superduty.

Also, thanks for the good welcomes, the forum seems like it's gonna be a friendly one, which puzzles me as to why Scott is allowed to hang around here ;)

George

gstanfield said:
Thanks for the suggestions so far, as soon as I get time I will start playing with the truck. The free mods sound right up my alley, plus it will help me get familiar with the sparkplug-less engine that I'm really starting to love.

Scott, as to that V-10 I'd rather get certain serious parts of my anatomy slammed in the door of my Dodge than to own another V-10 superduty.

Also, thanks for the good welcomes, the forum seems like it's gonna be a friendly one, which puzzles me as to why Scott is allowed to hang around here ;)

George

:rockwoot: :rockwoot: :rockwoot: :rockwoot: :rockwoot: :rockwoot:

A Convert!!!:woohoo:

LOL

Last edited:
Back