sources for 3.5" 90 degree weld elbows

jimmer

Building twins for the 12v swapped into my 88 V30 Chevy Crew Cab.

This will be a Wh1C and HT3B setup with the 3B up forward on the passenger side and the WH1C mounted backward on the manifold. Need to make a hot pipe like this one.

I am looking for some 3.5 inch sch80 90 degree weld elbows. Long and or short radius.

I can find 3 and 4" here in town but no one has 3.5 or can get me 3.5". I have been "on the google" and can't find sh!t unless it is a site in china or it is stainless. Nothing at McMaster or Grainger...Don't want stainless. Tried a few industrial houses here in Colorado Springs, nothing.

Anyone have a secret supplier they would like to share?

Thanks!

Jim

Attachments

• tt1.jpg
    tt1.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 0
Check with Auto-Jet Muffler. They are located in Des Moines, Iowa but may have other locations.

Thanks guys for the replies.

Well, it seems that I already HAD the proper piece BUT in sch 40 not 80. I was told to get 3.5" sch80 and that was 3.5 for the OD. That pipe is usually sold by the ID...at least here in CO. LOL

So, I just need to go back to the industrial houses I was at earlier in the day...and order the 3" sch 80 out of Denver. The prices of that stuff on McMaster seems a bit high, 40 for the long elbow and 75 for the short. I only paid 14 for the long elbow in shc40 here in town.

I used all vibrant products on mine. Very nice quality pieces.

Thanks for the link Brad. There are some nice things in there! Jedeka - I hit their website, looks like I would have to call them. But I bet they have a crap load of stuff.

Those are the sites I like to find. Like Columbia River Mandrel Bending http://www.mandrel-bends.com/catalog/

or these guys. They sell china stuff...but are actually located about 15 min from me, and I can go and pick up the stuff. http://frozenboost.com

curious as to why your wanting schedule 80?

Hold on a minute. Let me put my 'flame suit on'. LOL

The parts guy helping me with this project says that the thicker pipe will hold the heat better, and no need to wrap it.

---flame suit off.

Learning as we go.

Flame suit?? I was just curious..guys who I talked to told me to use schedule 40 and that was mainly just to hang it off the manifold without lower supports..I hear of guys using schedule 10 also..I wrap mine too but it's more to help keep heat from radiating out instead of,keeping it held in..schedule 80 being thicker will also make ID smaller dunno if it's enough to hinder performance or not but to each their own just curious..I like to listen to,others reasoning.good luck on your build

Last edited:
Flame suit?? I was just curious..guys who I talked to told me to use schedule 40 and that was mainly just to hang it off the manifold without lower supports..I hear of guys using schedule 10 also..I wrap mine too but it's more to help keep heat from radiating out instead of,keeping it held in..schedule 80 being thicker will also make ID smaller dunno if it's enough to hinder performance or not but to each their own just curious..I like to listen to,others reasoning.good luck on your build

I spend too much time over at Pirate4x4... Sometimes you will get 'lit up' for asking the stupid questions in the wrong forum. Hence the 'flame suit' This IS CompD. I figured I would be 'proactive' LOL

From the years of lurking in various forums and wading thru the BS posts, I have understood that you want to keep the heat IN to keep the spool up...hence the thicker pipe. Shoot. I could have used exhaust tubing as well...but would have to wrap it up with the header wrap, and then I would have to have a brace for that HT3B.

The thickness of the sch40 vs sch80 is 0.216 vs 0.300. The internal diameter is 2.9" for the sch80 and 3.07 for the sch40

I don't think that my crappy lil build of a worn out WH1C and a HT3B on this thing is gonna notice. LOL I bet if it was 2" or 4"...yeah then we'd have a problem.

I have a buddy that is getting me the pieces from his mechanical fab shop...they may be in stainless. Sure would hate to have to cover that 'purdy' stainless with header wrap. :) Will wait and see what he comes up with.

Jimmer, Auto-Jet can get you about any size and bend of exhaust pipe. I read your post again, after I replied. I know exactly what you were looking for. We use the heavy wall 90's on a few pulling tractor builds. I can find out where they come from, if anyone else is needing them.

Tell your local piping supplier you need a 3" sch 40 short radius 90. We used a short radius on my buddies 3rd gen, I guess that's what you would want on a 2nd gen too. OD is the same 3.5" across the board whether it's sch 10 or sch120.

I didn't think it was a stupid question most people from what I can see use schedule 40 unless,they're building big time stuff. I used same thing 12v94 used.short radius schedule 40..Keating machine is who told me to go with that size because his flanges were made for it..

Last edited:
Tell your local piping supplier you need a 3" sch 40 short radius 90. We used a short radius on my buddies 3rd gen, I guess that's what you would want on a 2nd gen too. OD is the same 3.5" across the board whether it's sch 10 or sch120.

Correct, the OD is the same...the ID will shrink just a bit as the thickness goes up.

This is in a CHEVY truck, has to be a custom setup and I will need probably both long and short 90's. I have to get the turbo in a spot that the 5 inch exhaust will clear the big ass AC box on the chevy firewall.

I already have a 3" sch40 long 90. That is how I know the od was 3.5. My parts guy told me to get 3.5". Pipe is measured and sold normally by the ID. HE was talking about OD. Dang Tennessean! ha ha

One of the dads on my kids football team works for a mechanical fab shop and said he said he would look at the bins at work and see what he has. Plus his guys could TIG weld the stuff for me. Bonus.

I can get the sch 40 locally. sch 80 out of denver 3" ID. Remember this post I was looking for 3.5" ID.

Definitely don't order from McMaster Carr if the fab shop guy doesn't come through. The short radius 90 shouldn't cost you more than $20-$30. Schedule 80 usually doesn't cost much more than schedule 40, at least not with our suppliers. Actually if you don't come up with anything, we used a supplier called bell pipe and supply on a job we did in Cheyenne, I can't remember where they were out of though. I don't think that .084" more thickness is gonna do anything noticeable for spool up.

Definitely don't order from McMaster Carr if the fab shop guy doesn't come through. The short radius 90 shouldn't cost you more than $20-$30. Schedule 80 usually doesn't cost much more than schedule 40, at least not with our suppliers. Actually if you don't come up with anything, we used a supplier called bell pipe and supply on a job we did in Cheyenne, I can't remember where they were out of though. I don't think that .084" more thickness is gonna do anything noticeable for spool up.

Yeah for sure on the McMaster on the 80. Ridiculous. If my buddy does not come thru., I will just head back to the plumbing house in town and get another 14 dollar elbow.

You are right. does it matter...after researching this and reading everyones comments. No...it does not really matter in the scheme of things. It just needs to be heavy to hold that big ass 3B. This thread turned more into 'where to find ****' after I found out I had what I was looking for! LOL

We will see what the fab shop guy comes up with. It is not like I had to have4 the truck running TODAY, damn thing has been sitting for almost 2 years with a rebuilt CDS pump ready to go on. Hamilton cam is in, and the front of the engine has to go back together.

I run an ht60 which it the same turbo as an ht3b.I used schedule 40 on mine..I had obstacles just as you do putting them in a super duty..anxious to see your setup I like seeing stuff like this..

So is your primary gonna be out front?

Here is a s363 with a HT4B I just dabbed up. It seems as though the reverse scroll compressor housings can be a pain to fit.

2hf100p.jpg

So is your primary gonna be out front?

Here is a s363 with a HT4B I just dabbed up. It seems as though the reverse scroll compressor housings can be a pain to fit.

2hf100p.jpg

Yes. Similar to that...except that the secondary on mine will be reversed. exhaust pointing to the rear. I hope. I am looking at the damn AC box as a PITA. The truck was not an AC truck originally. Lots of room that way. But I spent too many days in that thing sweating like a pig, so in went factory AC. Pic is of something similar to what I want to do.

Possible that I may have to use a Cobra Head and build them like PDR does for the 1st gen.

Attachments

• P3081156.jpg
    P3081156.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited: