south bend 3850

salden77

anyone daily drive one of these? i am getting one next week. my current clutch slips in 6th gear when i get on it with programmers turned only half way up.

I've got a 3600lb in mine, not to bad once you get used to it. I also float the gears though, so the clutch only gets used starting off LOL

I daily drove and pulled a 3850 12CB puller for several years.... it can be done but the heavy plate load is not designed for daily driving.

If the truck is still a street driven truck that plays on the pulling track I would highly suggest a 3600 plate load. If its just a street truck call and talk to Peter or Mansil be honest with them about what your going to do with the truck and either they're 3250 or 3600 will probably hold whatever you need it too.

I put my former puller back on the street and I'm running a 3250 SBC Street dual disc now and I love it!

Thanks guys.

I had a 3600 in my old 05 and I daily drove it without issue. Cant speak for OP but I plan on doing several street and work stock classes this summer. I know the 3250 isn't rated for that and the ability to be rebuilt on the 3850 sounds good.

I couldn't imagine trying to dd a 3850... Good lord.
I figure ill go to a 3600 when the time comes for my single to be replaced.

My valair is #3800 plate load with solid hubs and I dd it, I even tow with it sometimes.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

i know a guy that ran one on the street... im not sure how long but he broke one of the levers on the pressure plate since it was lever style instead of diaphragm style.. i assume the 3850 is still a lever style plate... with my setup running 35's my 3600 has never slipped

Zfaylor on here has a 5 speed with the sb 3850 and it's definitely more aggressive than my 3600. But he dd's it.

Yeah its kinda rough but once you get used to it it isnt impossible. I live in a rural area so there isn't a lot of stop and go though. Don't stop a gooseneck pointing up hill I'll put it that way..

My Buddy has one and he loves it but like everyone else says they take a little getting used to but atleast it gonna hold haha

I couldn't imagine trying to dd a 3850... Good lord.
I figure ill go to a 3600 when the time comes for my single to be replaced.

I am 5'10 and weighed less than 200lbs when I used to daily drive, tow, and pull my 3850. You learn tricks to it... don't hold it in at red lights, crawl in lower gears in traffic...etc its doable without a giant left leg ;)

My valair is #3800 plate load with solid hubs and I dd it, I even tow with it sometimes.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

I pulled 25 ft goosenecks loaded with mine all the time.....you get used to it!

i know a guy that ran one on the street... im not sure how long but he broke one of the levers on the pressure plate since it was lever style instead of diaphragm style.. i assume the 3850 is still a lever style plate... with my setup running 35's my 3600 has never slipped

When I was DD'n, towing, and pulling with mine I had a floater crack once and a lever crack once.... usually about every 2 years but Peter always took care of me!

3850 lever plates are just not a good idea for trucks that are driven daily.

Back