southbend con fe hydro upgrade?

06cummins6lift

im looking at getting a con fe my plans are stack my smarty with mp8 and an airdog also i have 37's will this be enough clutch and do i need to do the upgrade ?

I would look into a double disc with that kind of tire on the ground...........
Not saying one way or the other cause I dont know I am just merely assuming things.....
Brandon

Last edited:
Def do the hydro upgrade. You will hate driving your truck if you don't. It won't shift nearly as fast. South Bend is having a sale right now where you can get the 3600 DD for $1000.

ya i just saw that and i m gonna do that cant pass it up i was thinking the 3250 because i thought it might be a bit better for everyday driving? but i have no clue

I believe the 3600 will have a lil stiffer clutch pedal. If you don't plan on getting too wild with the truck and you drive the truck everyday with quite a bit of city driving then I would prolly just go with the 3250. But I aint no clutch expert though. Maybe Peter from South Bend will chime in and enlighten us.

With as easy as it to get some good HP out of the common rail, might as well get teh 3600 for the extra insurnance

Peter told me the 3600 was not a good choice for daily driving due to the lever style pressure plate.He said it could fail prematurely and break a lever being it wasn't designed for the constant gear changing associated with in town daily driving.The 3250 runs a diaphram style pressure plate like stock and was reccommended to me.I'm sure either can last just as long but was warned of this directly from Peter.

i had a 3600 DD south bend with hydro upgrade and it done good driving it everyday. with what ur plans are i would look toward a double disk instead of the big single.

i drove a 3850 with the upgraded hydro in my 01. no trouble what so ever. just like everything else once you get use to it you dont pay any attention to it. my leg hurt for a couple of days after that just like driving the stocker.

Go with a 3250 diaphram cover dd ductile fw. Its plenty of clutch for your setup but not too much pressure to wear out your leg. I pulled with a 3250 for a year with over 700hp and it held up pretty good to it so daily drivin should be no problem.

We now have the 3600 plate load in diaphragm form for 6sp and g56 transmissions.

Peter

I have been daily driving the 3600 lever style without one bit of trouble, had to take the wife to work one morning cause the roads were nothing but ice and her Trailblazer would go anywhere, I never had one bit of trouble with the clutch grabbing or jerking, this thing performed flawlessly! Even on the steep back streets to the hosbitle she works at I never spun a tire due to the clutch being grabby!
Id say if your not gonna do any pulling id go with one of the diaphragm 3600's!!

I have to say thanks to Peter for a awesome product!!!

The 550hp rating on the conFE is 100% true and is not underrated by much. If you play a lot, you'll need to stay at 550. I started to slip a 70,000 mile old FE once I made it over 600hp. however, I beat the crap out that clutch.

If you want a CHEAP FE. I have mine for sale. $100 + shipping. I needs the flywheel resurfaced (you get that as well if you want) and it needs the flywheel side of the clutch disk material replaced. the rest looks real good.

If you have $1300 to spend, do the DD, you won't regret it. I'd liked to try a non-sprung 6 puck and compare it to my 12 puck sprung. some claim it's faster to shift. SBC claims it's not going to last to long under extream conditions.

the 12CB 3250# DD has run 850+hp from a 12v.