speed sensor location

firemn260

Ok so when I bought my 96 ram I was told it had a t case from a 24v. It's a auto to manual swap so I'm guessing the nv4500 and t case came from a 99 or later truck.
All gauges work except for speedo and odom. I was given a what I was told was a speed sensor that would alow the speedometer to work. It's a black plastic plug with a white cap on one end that has a Female plug and a green plastic gear on the other end.
Haven't had a chance to crawl under the truck lately with all the snow we have had. I'm wondering if anyone could tell me were in need to start to get my speedometer working. Thanks

Your tcase doesn't have a spot to install that sensor. You need the right tcase.

You need to get a a SGI-5 unit from dakota digital (about $80) and wire it into your rear ABS speed sensor and the speedometer signal wire. Then it will also be adjustable too. I explained how to do it in AHales build thread. Just search for SGI-5 in his thread. It starts at post 1118.

Here's a link to his pictures. http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140560&page=56

These are the instructions from the TDR I used when I did my G56 conversion;

A four wire install. Power, ground, signal in (from ABS) and signal out (to speedo). To do this conversion, you want to use output #3 (8000ppm ac output)with switch #3 and #4 up. For my '97 got the ABS signal from the OBD data link connector (red wire with violet tracer) The factory speedo signal wire (white with orange tracer) was found in the big white wire connector that is under the dash in between the clutch and parking brake pedals. Once I had it wired up I used a GPS to fine tune the speedo reading. The Dakota Digital has an adjustment wheel. I bought the Dakota on e-bay.

Make speedometer work

The tail-shaft on the t-case has the location for the speed sensor. It is not machined. I put a newer NP241DHD case in, had that tail housing machined for the sensor,
put a gear on the output shaft. The snap rings and gear I took out of a NP231

I do have a picture, but can not post it.

Thank you so much for the info fellas. I figured it was going to be more then just a simple plug in to make it work like the kid I bought the truck from made it out to be.