speed sensors

Finch

today i have had my 5th speed sensor go out in 1 year/36k miles, fluids been changed every 10k, minimal dust in the pan. 2 have actually thrown codes, all changed because of erratic shifting. anyone else having this problem? or solution?

More details on the erratic part would be good. Changing the speed sensor seemed to fix it 100% for a couple of months?

These are very simple sensors, having one go bad is one thing but 5 is way out of the ordinary. I would definitely check the harness for grounding issues that could throw a sensor code. If 5 have actually failed you may have the worst luck of anyone I know of.

Have the sensors been covered in metal when they were removed? It doesn't take much, a fairly insignificant looking ring around the end can cause interference with the signal and could indicate a more serious issue.

Erratic shifting concerns are more often attributed to governor pressure issues. If you haven't addressed that it could be the cause of your problems.

would accelerate or cruise (3rd or 4th gear) and feel like it's going to neutral, in reality its dropping to second, its a weird experience

the sensors don't look bad, nor have much if anything on them... all shifting issues go away with the new sensors, have tried a new gov solenoid, didn't change anything.

this trans has horrid luck...it's been thro 3 partial rebuilds due to part failures/shop negligence in 2 and a half years... should have got a manual